ch. thirteen

san is getting ready to go to school. today, as jongho said, their school principal will announce something in the hall before they go to class.

after san finished fixing his black hair, he reached for his school bag and walked into the kitchen to have breakfast with his mother and older sister.

"good morning, mum. morning, sis." he greeted both of them who was waiting for him at the kitchen table.

"good morning, san."

"morning, bro."

"how do you feel about starting the school day this year? or how many days has it been since school opened?" his older sister, haneul, asked.

"it's already the second week, noona." he replied.

san sat opposite his mother and as in on cue, his mother put a plate of her signature fried noodles in front of him.

"oh really? i didn't notice." haneul poured a glass of milk and pushed towards her brother.

san smiled at his mother and sister as a sign of thanks and immediately grabbed his chopsticks. "thank you for the food!" he eagerly said and starts eating his breakfast.

"you guys started practicing basketball before opening school with your school couch, right?" his sister asked after finished chewing her last bite of fried noddles.

san placed his chopsticks on his small plate beside his main plate of fried noddles and sipped his milk. "oh yes, we did. why, noona?"

knowing that his sister likes to talk after they finished eating to catch up what was left since his sister started school and he started working, san looked at his sister.

"when does training at school start? you don't have a game at the beginning of the year?"

san hummed. "we have. in fact, today the principal had a meeting before the start of class with all the athletes. i'm guessing we're starting practice maybe two weeks from now."

"i see, i see." haneul nodded her head. "when the game has a date, you tell mum and me, we'll clear the table for that day."

san's eyes lit up immediately. "will do!" he beamed happily that his dimples pop out. "thank you!"

"no biggie, big bro. quick, finish your food and get to school before you late. i have to go to work."

haneul got up and took her plate, her glass and her cutlery to the sink so she could wash them. after drying her hands, she reached for her handbag and kissed her mother's cheek.

"i'll go first. don't forget to wait for me for dinner!" she ruffles san's perfect hair and dashed toward the door.

"my hair-" san blinked his eyes in shock then he huffed in annoyance because his hair perfect hair was damaged.

every morning, san, haneul and their mother would have breakfast early at 5 am because they always follow their family schedule.

they prefer to eat together even if they have to get up early. after all san is an early bird, so getting up early is not a problem for him.

his mother laughed at him and shakes her head. "hurry, finish your food and get to school. i have loaded money in your bus card."

"oh? thank you mum! i'll get going now. see you later!" san got up and followed his sister's steps to wash his own dishes. then he also kissed his mother's cheek and bid her goodbye.

"mhm-hmm, be safe."

san took his school bag and put on his school shoes. he then received a phone call. it's from hongjoong.

he answered the call. "yes hyung?"

"have you gone to school, yet?" hongjoong asked from the other line.

san got up and locked the door. "i just left the house. what about you, hyung?"

"me, jongho and mingi are already at creméry. we are waiting for you. let's go to school together."

"alright, hyung. i'll be there soon, wait for me."

"mhm-hmm, come quick."

san hung up the call and sped slowly towards the cafe where they always hang out.

when he arrived at the cafe, he immediately saw three heads that he recognized. "hey guys, good morning."

"good morning." the three of them greeted him back.

"here, hot hazelnut latte. that's what you like in the morning, right, hyung?" jongho hand san the large cup.

"i do. thank you jongho." san beamed at the younger.

"i'll pay for your bus. so let's go. oh, and i don't take no. let me pay you back." hongjoong quickly said and without waiting for san to protest he walked out first.

after arriving, they got off the bus and entered the school. after smiling and nodding at their schoolmates, they went to their locker to take their books for the first lesson.

jongho closed his locker. "i wonder who is host inter-school mixed sports weeks this year."

"i feel like the principal wants to announce that today." hongjoong added.

"ooh this is so exciting!" mingi cheered.

without wasting time, they went to their school hall to meet the other athletes for the meeting.

"i have a feeling that this will change our lives." mingi pursed his lips.

san lifted his eyebrow in questioned. "what do you mean?"

"i don't know. i just felt like it."

before san could come back to him, the principal entered the hall with a smile that carried meaning, but made the athletes nervous.

"okay mic test." mr. soo tested the mic before he smile. "good morning to our school's hope."

"good morning, mr. soo."

"i don't want to waste everyone's time because you have class and i've taken your five minutes for being late. so i want to announce the inter-school mixed sports host at the beginning of this year."

"the sports that we will send representatives to are, basketball team, volleyball team, track team, archery team, football team and javelin team." mr. soo said.

"oh? why are our sports representatives so few this year?" hongjoong mumbles in confusion.

jongho shakes his head and mumbled back to hongjoong. "i don't know..."

"and our sports host this year is... oh! kq multi sport school." mr. soo cheered.

san froze.

hongjoong, mingi and jongho blinked their eyes in synchronization at the school name before mingi broke into a wild cheers. "i'm gonna spend the whole month of my entire lunch with yunho!"

"calm your butt down, mr. song." mr. soo who noticed mingi's wild action, said.

jongho patted san's back. "oh san hyung..."

"this is what i meant about "changing our lives" earlier. oh my god, i can't believe this!" mingi happily babbled nonstop.

hongjoong glances at the second oldest in their team. "oh san, it's okay. you can try it. i'm sure he'll like you. you're better at flirting, you know that right?"

"i guess so?" san sighed. "isn't this too fast? i mean... we just started text a few weeks ago."

"it's better than nothing, san hyung." jongho smiled at the older to encourage him.

"i guess you guys are right. " san beamed at the oldest and the youngest in appreciation. "thank you guys."