ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ sɪx

1 Week Later

1 Week Later...
"Did you think about anything that you wanted to do our project on?" Ray said while sitting beside me.

We were in class and working on our projects. However, I was stuck in a daze thinking...

"Uhh—no..I was gonna lie but I honestly didn't." I said truthfully, "What about you though.. Any ideas?"

"Um well actually–I was thinking we could tackle the topic about mental health." He said, "More so about how therapy should be free and therapists should be paid by the government type shit." He added.

"Thats actually not a bad idea–what made you think of that?" I asked, genuinely out of curiosity because I was expecting him to say something a little more common.

"I lost my brother to suicide when I was 8." He said, "So yeah mental health has always been something I've been seriously invested in. Especially making sure other people around me are okay." He said letting out a sigh.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry Ray. I really did not know about that." I said feeling completely bad about asking about his reasoning for choosing the topic.

"No no, you good." He said reassuringly, "I'm not from here so I don't expect you to know." He said with a smile

"Where are you from?" I asked attempting to change the subject, somewhat.

"Florida" He said.

"I've always wanted to go to Florida, especially for spring break but I think everybody done drained florida out." I said jokingly

"It is beautiful there, but niggas done went to my city and drained all the fun out of it. Now they got a curfew and shit." He said shaking his head

"A curfew for one of the littest states is insane." I said laughing.

Just then the bell rung, causing everyone to grab their bags and scurry to the exit.

"Alright class, so tomorrow will be our last day working on this project in class so moving forward you will need to work afterschool to complete this assignment!" Mrs Adams said from her desk while everybody ignored her, rushing out the door.

I gathered my journal and got up from the desks that me and Ray had pushed together, looking for my bookbag.

"Here ya go." Ray said holding it in his hand

"Oh thank you." I said with a small smile, putting my things in it and zipping it back up. Then me and Ray started to exit the classroom, seeing everyone head either to the bus lot or the car lot.