Chapter 5

MONROE

Iwas organizing files at the doctor's office the next day when my phone buzzed again.

Monroe Bardot,the text read from the same number as last night.

I stiffened.

Please don't be creepy and make me regret all my life choices. How did you find out my name?

He sent a meme of a guy holding up his hands in front of him, placatingly.

Unknown: Not trying to be a creep. Promise. I thought we could be......friends.

That's a lot of dot, dot, dot for friends. Have you found Kara's real number and apologized yet?

Unknown: Nope. I've decided that I was meant to accidentally text you. Don't want to mess with the good vibes I've got going for me.

I rolled my eyes at his attempt at charm and glanced around the room.

I was alone in the front office, and it was a slow morning; only one patient sat in the waiting room, and they'd already checked in.

I inwardly shrugged. I guess I could play along for a little longer in the name of socialization and distraction.

You must be pretty desperate if you think texting a random stranger is the universe giving you good vibes, I typed out.

He sent back the picture I'd sent him last night.

Unknown: Have you seen yourself? You're fucking gorgeous. As long as you're not some dude in his mom's basement trying to catfish me, I say that I'm definitely in the universe's good graces right now.

For some reason, a blush spread across my cheeks. I'd been called "hot" in my life quite a few times. But, his "fucking gorgeous" hit me a little harder.

Well, I showed you mine, now show me yours.

I thought you said you didn't want to see wrinkled old balls, he quickly typed back.

A giggle escaped my lips. I glanced around again to make sure no one had come in and heard me. Although anyone who did would probably faint if they saw me doing anything other than work.

Your face. I meant your face. You can keep your wrinkly balls to yourself, thank you.

He sent me a picture of a forehead, golden hair cut in a sexy hot guy style falling in gentle waves against tan skin. The golden strands glimmered even in the picture, like he had a spotlight shining on him. I'd never imagined being attracted to a forehead and a little hair...but here I was.

Nice dye job to cover your grays, but a little lower might be nice.

To my surprise, I got a picture of his leg next, showcasing powerful thighs that were, in fact, drool-worthy. They were sculpted and toned, every muscle visible beneath his skin.