CHAPTER 15

MONROE

Iwas fucking late.

I hated being late.

And he'd even sent a car to take me to the game. Which was both thoughtful and infuriating since I wouldn't have the need for a car if he wasn't forcing me to go to the game in the first place.

I'd been asked by Dr. Kevin to stay thirty minutes extra to fix files that he had messed up, which had led to me being late for the bus and missing it. Because of course it had been on time today for the first time since I'd come to Dallas.

The car had already been waiting outside when I got home, and I had to hurry and take a shower and get dressed, because there was no way I was showing up to Lincoln Daniels' game looking like the swamp rat that I resembled after running all the way home.

Now here I was, in a car that was so nice I was afraid to touch anything—late.

I thought about jumping out of the car at every stoplight. Running home and forgetting this whole stupid thing.

But of course, I stayed.

And it wasn't just because of his promise to pay for everyone's tuition.

It was because I knew he was special. Magical. A once in a lifetime, or five lifetimes kind of moment.

There was the possibility that he could be the greatest thing that had ever happened to me.

And I didn't want to be the fool that walked away.

* * *

The game had already started when the driver got to the arena. He drove around the side, to a deserted-looking part of the building with more shadows than lights, which gave me a bit of a stranger danger vibe. Before I could freak out ridiculously, he stopped the car, got out, and opened my door, gesturing to the illuminated entry that had just appeared in front of us.

"Thank you," I murmured, a fluttering sensation building in my stomach, as if a thousand tiny wings were beating against the walls of my gut. The sensation grew stronger with every step towards the smiling woman standing in the doorway, like a swarm of butterflies were dancing within me, twirling and pirouetting, a kaleidoscope of colors and movement. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself.

But there was no calm to be found.

"Monroe, welcome to American Airlines Center. Mr. Daniels is so thrilled you've chosen to join us. I'm Ashley."