-Chapter 29-

In the suburbs of Delhi, a small cottage stood like a lone sentinel

In the suburbs of Delhi, a small cottage stood like a lone sentinel. It stood as a stark contrast to the towering modern structures that surrounded it. Its hand painted walls and roof covered with ivy, gave it a rustic charm. Despite the surrounding urbanization, the small cottage held its ground. It reflected the tastes of the owner. Bold and beautiful, with a touch of tradition.

The cottage echoed with laughter of a seven year old boy. A lady with emerald eyes smiled as she saw the boy running around the house with the phone. His amber eyes sparkled with joy, and his dimples deepened every time he laughed, reminding of the man she had lost to fate.

"Mumma, AR." The boy called out excitedly. 

The lady grabbed the phone from the boy, to see what had him so interested. Her laughter faded as her eyes caught the flickering images on the screen. The news was replaying footage of AR, surrounded by menacing goons with guns. 

Her tanned skin seemed to pale slightly as her strong well-toned hands clenched into fists. Without a word, she scooped up the boy, and walked away. The boys laughter faded into confusion.

"Kaha jaa rahe hai, mumma? (Where are we going mumma?)" The seven year old looked up in confusion as she buckled him securely in the car.

"Nani ke paas beta, mumma ko kuch zaruri kaam hai (We are going to your grandmother beta. Mumma has some urgent work), you need to stay with Nani."

The boy sighed. He was used to his mothers demanding schedules. "How long will you be gone?"

"Only a few days." Hours. Is what she hoped but she did not know what to expect. The situation took her by surprise. Never in her wildest dreams did he ever think that the Phoenix's family would be compromised. They were always protected. That was the deal that the government made with Phoenix. His life in exchange for his families safety. She was furious that they violated the deal.

She controlled her anger and drove her son to her mothers place. An elderly lady came out to greet her with a smile. The boy raced to hug his grandmother.

"Aab yaad aye tughe nani ke? (So finally you decided to pay a visit to your grandmother?)" The old lady picked up the boy who gave her a sweet smile.

"Ice-cream?"

"It's in the fridge. Go and get it. I will be right behind."

The boy bobbed his head and ran inside. The old lady looked at her daughter.

"Tell me you are not going there"

"I am, mumma" she handed the lady a school bag and a green color bag filled with goddies.

"Drop him off to school tomorrow and don't let him have a lot of ice-creams. One is enough"

"My house, my rules, Ashu. You dump the kid on me, I deal with him the way I want to"