Contemplation and Ecstasy

"C.G. Jung, together with Jean Gebser, established the idea that the first humans bathed in ecstasy and that this transcendent sensory state was the true and natural one."  Roland Paulsen

Invented Quotes

For two hundred thousand years, we hardly knew any form of stockpiling, today we open savings accounts for the unborn. We wealthy people have to make many decisions every day when choosing what to eat, which scarcity has long relieved us of. 

"The choices that culture and technology are giving us en masse are undermining life," says Swedish sociologist Roland Paulsen. Above all, a horse farm means work. If the Westphalian pasha Anton Steinbrecher had to pay his people normally, he could pack up and go back to trebe. He likes to talk about the clochards with whom he sang communist songs under the Seine bridges in Paris as a young man, before he allowed himself to be brought into line during the Third Reich. He parted with his mane, took off his shimmering collar and put on his field coat. He wore a uniform for the next twelve years, allegedly in secret opposition, but nobody asked about that anyway. Anton is an icon of the economic miracle, a self-made millionaire straight out of a post-war West German picture book. Among Swabians, the giant Dortmund native looks like Gulliver in the land of the dwarves. Because settling in the East didn't work out, Anton settles in the Swabian-Baden border region near the village of Ö..., which for centuries belonged to the Maulbronn monastery. 

"Maulbronn Monastery is a former Cistercian abbey in the center of Maulbronn in the Enzkreis district of Baden-Württemberg." Wikipedia

Infant skeletons the size of ossuaries were found in an underground passage. Although Anton's wife Elisabeth 'Betty', née Britsch, was born in Pforzheim, her family, the Schäufeles, a family of chefs and blacksmiths, came from Ö... and the surrounding area. 

The Schäufeles are a "tough family". Anton hears this from his grandma every day. He is his grandma's ear. 

"The surname Schäufele comes from the Swabian ... and is a family name that refers to ... Kleingrütter. A Kleingrütter is a sworn chef (in this case of the monastery of Maubronn) ... variable quantities of meat (were transported in the) sales basket - the Schäufele." 

Source:  https://www.igenea.com/de/nachnamen/s/schaufele

To keep a business like the paddock running, you need horse-crazy girls.

Paddock - German: Koppel - That's the name of the Steinbrecher family's property, which is like a resettler's farm and is set free in the landscape.

They work hard in the stables and on the pasture for God's reward. They help with the many harvests, make hay, treat people and animals with somnambulistic devotion. Their altruism turns them into apparitions. They duly admire the rude deer and offer comfort to the laggards. You can hug them, but of course they have their favorite among the weary and burdened. They are happy to do what others only do if you pay them to. 

*

Iris is one of them. She lets herself be soaped up and fobbed off with Anton's equestrian mumbo-jumbo. It's a mixture of esoteric whispering, platitudes, invented quotes and unidentified appropriations of the intellectual property of veritable thinkers.

Contemplation and Ecstasy

The Steinbrecher family has gathered almost completely in their river bath on/in the Enz. The facility owes its existence to the old Anton Steinbrecher. In the 1950s, the great organizer (and passionate equestrian and water sports enthusiast) was the driving force behind the construction of a singularity whose insider tip character has been preserved right up to the present day. 

The Steinbrecher clan claims domiciliary rights on site. There is no queuing at the chip shop for a Steinbrecher and of course the safety restrictions in the river don't apply either. Doris S. has just swum over all the barriers without even realizing that she has transgressed the bathing rules. The unmarried yoga teacher may be out of the ordinary, but when it comes to enjoying nature and exercise, she is a real Steinbrecher. An almost untouched naturalness lines the air and river bath in the spectrum between roadside jungle, embankment and aerial roots labyrinth. Keno finds the mood of the moment Caribbean. He hides from the family pack in the undergrowth.

The furtive communication between his mother's partner and a young woman who Keno sees every day on his grandparents' farm does not escape the covert. He observes Iris with the irritated gaze of an adolescent at the end of the childish road. Incomprehensible sensations plow through the inner sparing. Keno's mother, who has just appeared, takes off her swimsuit. She just wants to feel the sun on her skin. Nothing disturbs her ease. Although Doris is the unhappy one among her sisters, there are moments of inner freedom that open up unusual scope for her. She ignores Raimund's hotly reciprocated interest in Iris. Her passion has fallen below zero. 

Doris sits down on the grass. She closes her eyes and surrenders to an erotic daydream. Contemplation and ecstasy - with a man who reminds her of her former Vietnamese lover Binh, she withdraws from the present into a semi-fantastic past. 

Doris arrives soundless and motionless in a state of weightless selflessness. So out of it and yet completely there: this is a state that can only be achieved with the body's own drugs. Doris can have such experiences at any time, but they do not bring about any lasting enlightenment. A curtain of clouds takes the sun out of the game and illustrates the next darkening of the mood. Doris recalls a terrible story that Binh told her one night. The two of them were living in Frankfurt at the time. The progressives were in a hangover mood after a decade of revolutionary upheavals and great expectations. Doris and Binh had demonstrated in front of the US barracks in Gutleutstraße in the afternoon. A word of promise from the 19th century - sous les pavés, la plage - beneath the pavement lies the beach - was used in the street and in the fight for occupied houses. Parisian students had remembered this in May Sixty-Eight. Once again, comrades tore up the pavement. Binh was amused by this stone age. 

Frankfurt had been military-free until the Prussian invasion. The barracks, built between 1877 and 1879, also served as accommodation for the American military police from 1952. 

Doris and Binh withdrew from the commotion. They strolled along Kaiserstraße and kissed under iron Art Deco arches. An American officer bristled as he passed by. Amsterdam Vaughan recognized his old companion Second Lieutenant Binh Văn Hương. Obeying an impulse, he refrained from making contact.  Binh had also recognized the Buddy with avoidance signs. The encounter triggered something in him. Later that evening, already half asleep, an overpowering desire to relieve himself forced the opening of the tomb. With the idea that he had shot a sniper, Binh had searched for a body and found a dead girl in the enemy's black uniform.

Living children had been pulled out from under corpses. Binh stood aside while the bodies were counted.

Search & Destroy

From 1965, the principle of Search and Destroy was applied. The success of the tactic was measured by the body count. US Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara pleaded for as many enemy corpses as possible to prove its effectiveness. The New York Times claimed that 13,365 citizens were killed in combat operations in Vietnam between 1961 and 1967. The claim glossed over the fact that Americans had been involved in Vietnam since 1955.