Chapter 4

Lizzie heard the stranger pledge to help her family. It would be a relief, but Lizzie wouldn't acknowledge how desperately they needed his charity.

"We'll manage," she said to him. Hadn't God promised to take care of them? She clung to the idea. Otherwise her legs would buckle at the thought of how fast the coal pile had been depleted. "Pa is improving every day." 

She spoke more from stubborn determination than truth, but she was uneasy about a stranger hanging around. Even one who had defended her and carried her father gently to his bed. She turned from Pa and Holt. "I'll tend to your order now." 

"Lizzie." Pa's weak voice brought her back to his side. She knelt so she could hear his words. "I prayed for help. I have to believe this is God's answer." 

Although his words were but a whisper she knew when she glanced up at Holt that he'd heard them. Again Holt's gaze was riveted to hers. Silently saying he wanted only to help. 

She longed to believe it. But her natural caution warned her to be careful. 

"Ma'am, at least let me get the chill off this place. I won't use any more of your wood and coal than necessary. And if you'd be so kind as to share your meal, I'll sleep in the livery station tonight. Tomorrow..." He pulled at his lip as if considering his options. 

Even as she considered hers. She had precious few. 

"I'd be pleased to make sure you have a fair stock of fuel. Might take me more'n a day, though. If that's a problem...?" 

Emma stood shivering at the foot of Pa's bed. Lizzie ached to give her little sister the warmth of home and the security Lizzie had known when she was six. Instead she had only a cold room to offer. Trying to run the store and care for everything left her scant time to play mother to her sister. 

It was the look of hope on Emma's face that made up Lizzie's mind. 

"I'll feed you and provide your travel supplies in exchange for a winter's store of fuel." 

Holt grinned. "It's a deal." 

He offered his hand to make it official. Lizzie hesitated, suspecting that she might regret this agreement as much as she needed it. 

Slowly she lifted her hand to his, let him grip it. Solid. Strong. She withdrew her hand. Couldn't decide what to do with it. Press it to her waist? Wrap her other hand around it and share the heat? In the end, she unnecessarily tidied a lock of hair, tucking it into her bun.

He rubbed his palms together. "First things first. Let's get a fire going and make this room cozy." 

Emma followed him to the cold stove. "We're going to be warm?" 

"Soon, little Emma. Very soon. And I'll make sure you've got enough fuel that you can be snug as a bug all winter." 

Emma gave him a smile full of sweet trust. "I think I like you." 

He grinned at the girl. "What's not to like?" He shared the smile with Lizzie, and she felt as if the sun had dawned in her chest. It frightened her. 

"A man from no place. On his way north. Not the sort of man to like too much, Emma." Lizzie warned herself as much as her little sister.