Chapter 17

Holt pushed from his sleep to the sound of a thousand stampeding animals. He shook his head. The walls of the little room in the livery barn where he slept groaned. In a flash he'd pulled on his boots and shrugged into his coat before he rushed to open the door. A blast of wet wind chilled him and he slammed the door shut. But he'd seen enough to know a snowstorm was sweeping down the street, the snow so thick he couldn't see the buildings on the other side.

"Well, I can't leave now," he muttered. He couldn't find one bit of regret at the knowledge. Another day with Lizzie. Time to build memories to last forever. 

Pulling his hat down tight and securing it with his woolen scarf, he pushed into the storm. The snow swirled, making it impossible to know where he was. It stuck to his eyelashes. But he forged onward, mentally counting the steps to the store. It should be close. He squinted into the storm, caught a flicker of golden light and made his way toward it. Crashed into the door.

Lizzie threw it open and drew him inside. "I feared you would venture out and get lost." 

"This is as far as I'm going until the storm lets up." 

"Then I'm glad for the storm." Her words were low, meant only for his ears. He brushed the snow from his lashes so he could look at her better. The smile in her eyes drove away the chill from the wind. 

"I'm glad, too." At least the storm meant his pursuers would not be able to make progress, either. Though he still wondered why they hadn't caught up to him by now. He could only thank God for the reprieve it allowed him. 

He meant to enjoy every extra moment. 

"You want to play with Miss Ellen?" Emma said. 

"After breakfast," Lizzie warned, her eyes revealing amusement and regret. "She'll miss you." She kept her voice soft enough that only he heard her. 

Mr. Tate was up, shaking the coffeepot. Lizzie hurried to the stove to dish up porridge. Emma sat at the table, her doll beside her bowl. 

Holt leaned back and watched the scene. If only he could be part of this beyond today. He shut down the longing in his heart. Circumstances had sent him on a different course. 

After breakfast they played a board game, then Lizzie brought out a photograph album and introduced him to her relatives. They sat side by side, Emma on his knee, and he leaned close, breathing in the scent of Lizzie, imprinting it and the shape of her features on his mind. 

And he asked God to make the storm last forever.