Chapter 18

Lizzie wished the day would never end. Having Holt at her side, knowing it could not last was bittersweet. 

During the night the storm ended and the next day was sunshine, bright and warm enough to make a person happy to go out to do chores. And encourage a wanted man to leave town. Holt would be on his way today. She leaned over the pile of wood to catch her breath. He'd said he would say goodbye before he left. 

She made an extra large breakfast, baked biscuits and cookies for his journey. 

When he came, his eyes were drawn down at the corners. Without speaking a word, she realized how much he wanted to stay. She realized he struggled with the idea and fear gripped her. 

"You must leave. I couldn't bear to see you hang. Maybe someday your name will be cleared and then..." 

Pa had gone to the store to fetch some raisins. Emma dug about in her belongings in the loft, leaving them virtually alone. 

"When it is, I'll be back," he said. "I wish I could give you some sort of promise...but I can't. Don't wait for me, Lizzie." 

She caught a cry between her teeth. She wouldn't make this any harder. 

Pa came in just as Emma scampered down the ladder. They all sat around the table and Lizzie began to serve breakfast, trying to keep her hands from shaking. 

After a couple of minutes, Holt put down his fork carefully. "I'll be on my way this morning," he announced to them all. 

Emma's eyes widened. "You don't have to leave." 

"I'm afraid I do." He faced Pa. "There are reasons." He darted a glance at Emma as if wondering how much he should say in front of her. 

Pa met his eyes then nodded. "I appreciate your help. May God be with you."

Customers trailed into the store and Pa rose to tend to them. 

Lizzie went to the doorway with her father to speak to him privately. "Pa, there are men after him. He's been falsely accused of rustling and will hang if he's caught." 

Holt joined her. "I assure you I'm innocent." 

"I never doubted otherwise." He gripped Holt's shoulder. "We will pray for God's justice." 

"I wish I could believe it will prevail." 

"Son, never lose faith." 

From the look on Holt's face she knew he had trouble believing in justice. Even as she did. Why would God allow a good man to be falsely accused? Why would He bring such a man into her life only to tear him away? 

Pa patted her shoulder. "Go say goodbye. For now. Until God answers our prayers." 

"Thank you, Pa." As her father entered the store, she grabbed Holt and drew him back to the table, filling his plate with eggs and bacon, refilling his coffee cup several times. They both recognized it as her way of delaying his departure. But he seemed content to let her.

Suddenly Pa ducked into the living quarters, pulling the adjoining door closed behind him. 

At the fear on his face, Lizzie let the coffeepot slam to the table. 

"There are two men out front asking after you," Mr. Tate said. 

Holt bolted to his feet. "They've caught up with me." 

"I didn't tell them you were here. There's no one in the store who knows. So unless they start asking around at the livery barn..." 

He could still get away. But he had only a few minutes at best to escape the noose.