Chapter 11

Holt hurried from the livery barn as the first blush of dawn pinkened the sky. The snow had held off but the wind had a bite that made a man wish for a cave to hunker down in. Or even more alluring...a nice warm house with a woman's welcoming smile. 

Like the ones Lizzie gave. 

He shrugged farther down into the protection of his coat as he hurried up the street. Didn't even bother to check to the right and the left for anyone interested in a lone cowboy. 

He ducked into the living quarters behind the store. "Brr. That's a cold wind." 

The silence at his greeting made him freeze in the act of taking off his coat. He turned. Emma sat at the table, fear blazing from her big eyes. Lizzie knelt by her father's bed, sponging his face and arms. 

It didn't take Holt more than a glance to know the man was burning with fever. He tossed off his coat. "How long has he been like this?" 

"He woke me last night shouting and rambling incoherently. I've been trying to get his fever down since." 

Mr. Tate hollered and swung his arm. Lizzie ducked. 

Holt sprang into action. "Throw back his covers. We have to sponge him all over." He worked as he talked, pulling Mr. Tate's shirt over his head and slipping his arms out of his union suit. By rights they should remove the underwear on his lower body as well, but he figured the man wouldn't want his girls to see him that way. 

"Get me more water." Lizzie scrambled to bring him a basin. Holt took the washcloth, dipped it into the basin and washed the man from the waist up, letting the water evaporate. 

Emma edged closer. "Is he gonna die?" 

"No." Holt and Lizzie answered as one. He saw the set of her jaw, knew she would fight to her last breath to save her father. "I'm at your side." He would fight just as hard as she. 

She looked at him, her eyes filled with gratitude. 

"You take care of Emma. I'll look after your pa. Between us, it'll be okay." He wanted to give her a hug, to offer her comfort, but he had no right. 

Holt returned his attention to the older man. This was something he could do for Lizzie. No matter the cost, he would honor his promise to Mr. Tate. And he would not fail her. If he was found and captured, so be it. He prayed God would enable him to face his fate with dignity.