Chapter 16

Paquette and Mr. Edwards left early that morning, and as the day wore on, Pa steadily grew stronger. Lizzie's happiness knew no bounds, magnified as it was by Holt's presence. 

His kiss had affected her deeply. Never had she felt this way before...full of a joy that danced across her senses. 

She tried to temper it with reason. After all, he had made no promises. Over and over she caught him staring out the window with a faraway look in his eyes, and she knew he had one foot out the door and she had no claim on him. 

Yet she wondered how she would manage when he left. Certainly Pa would soon be able to spend a few hours in the store. And God willing, be able in time to take over the outside chores.

But it wasn't the work that would make her miss Holt. It was the loneliness in her soul that hovered in the background. For a moment she considered suggesting she go with him when he left. Her heart leapt at the idea, but her head reminded her that her family needed her here. 

Holt stepped through the door. "It's bright and sunny today. After that storm, I reckon the good weather will last a few days." 

Something in his voice screeched along her nerves and she took her time drying her hands and facing him, as if by delaying she could avoid what he had to say. 

He waited until her gaze finally met his, let her see his regret as well as his resolve. "I'll be leaving in the morning." 

Only by holding her breath was she able to bite back a cry. She counted to three. Then ten. Eventually she spoke, hoping her voice wouldn't reveal the depth of her pain. "You're more than welcome to stay." 

He nodded. "I know. But I can't." He reached for her hands and drew her to the table, urged her to sit and pulled a chair to her side. "I am a wanted man, Lizzie."

The statement was so ridiculous that she felt a giggle tickling her throat. 

"I'm accused of rustling cows and there are people who will testify that I've done it." 

"How absurd. Why would they say such a thing?" 

He cupped her face in his palm and gave her a look so full of tenderness her vision blurred. "Lizzie, you are sweet. How do you know I'm not guilty?" 

Heat burned her cheeks and she was sure they must flash a telltale red. She'd spoken on pure instinct but she had no doubt of his innocence. "You are a God-fearing man. You would not steal. Tell me what happened?" 

He trailed his fingers down her cheeks. His gaze lingered on her eyes with delightful pleasure that filled her insides with sweet music. "I rented some land and started to gather up a herd of cows. The big rancher next to my land kept reporting his cows were going missing, claimed they'd been stolen. It wasn't me, but someone framed me. Produced several witnesses who said they saw me branding a steer that belonged to my neighbor. Frontier justice would see me hanged. I decided I didn't much care for that sort of justice and headed for the Canadian border." 

"But you stopped here. Why?" It put him in so much danger she dare not consider it. 

"You needed help. I made a promise." He stroked her cheek. "And I don't regret it one bit." He kissed her, so full of tenderness and unspoken love that she ached clear through. 

"I...I know you have to go. But...I could go with you." 

His grin was crooked. "You can't leave Emma and your father. Our lives must go in different directions from here." His voice sliced through her insides, echoing her own painful conclusion. 

"I don't want you to leave, but I understand you have to." 

If only there were some way she could keep morning from coming.