Chapter 14

Lizzie left her father's side to stare out the window.

"You think he's lost?" Emma's voice shrilled across Lizzie's nerves. She forced herself to still her worrying hands and speak calmly. 

"No, dearest. I'm sure he'll be back soon." 

"It's dark out." 

And snow had started to fall. Or rather to blow. So strong it didn't seem to touch the ground, violently swirling in the air. God, please keep him safe. 

She returned to Pa and resumed sponging, not knowing what else to do. 

The door rattled and she jerked about. But it was only the wind. With shaking hands, she returned her attention to her task. It happened again and again, and each time she had to stop herself from bolting to the door. As the hours ticked by the room grew more and more empty.

The door rattled again. Only this time the handle also jiggled. She sprang forward, spilling water on her feet and not even caring as she threw open the door. 

"Holt!" Joy she could not disguise filled her voice. "Holt, you must be freezing. Come in." She tugged at his sleeve. 

"I brought help." He could barely form the words, his lips stiff with cold. 

Lizzie tore her gaze from Holt's face and saw a tiny woman at his side. 

"This is Paquette," he said. 

"Thank God you're here! Please, come in and get warm." 

"I not be cold." The woman shuffled in, shed a fur cape and went straight to Pa's side. She rubbed her hands to take the chill off of them then touched his forehead. "He be sick long time." 

Even though it wasn't a question, Lizzie answered. "Yes." 

"He very weak now." 

Frighteningly so. Lizzie hovered at the end of Pa's bed, her stomach bouncing from pillar to post as she watched and waited. Holt shed his coat and stood at her side. She welcomed his comforting presence. 

Paquette suddenly nodded. "I fix." She opened a leather pouch and pulled out an array of dried herbs. "I need hot water." Lizzie sprang forward to help. 

A few minutes later Paquette had produced a noxious smelling liquid. "He drink this. All it. He start get better." 

"How will he drink? He's unconscious." 

Paquette touched Pa's cheeks and neck then she bent close. "Mister, open your eyes." 

Lizzie gasped as Pa did so. 

"You drink." Paquette lifted his head and held the cup to his lips. He swallowed three times. 

"Good." She turned to Lizzie. "You see he drink all." She handed Lizzie the cup. "I be done." She sat at the table. 

Emma, who had refused to go to bed until Holt returned, stared at her. 

Paquette stared right back. Then she smiled. "You be nice girl." 

The woman had brought something to help Pa. Holt was safe and sound. The relief made her dizzy. Lizzie's lungs emptied so fast her legs bent. Holt caught her around the waist. She knew she should pull away. Stand on her own two feet. But she'd stood on her own for so long... She welcomed his steadying arm, but how long would he be here to offer it?