The Therapeutic Effects of Tea - Part 12

by  sloanranger

Part 12 

"Really. Vern?"

"Ernest's room and bed are large enough to accommodate a wife. Perhaps she could help with the house and cooking."

"A 'couple'...fancy us with a couple," Viola sighed. She turned and looked at her sister. "Could we ever afford it?"

"If they took room and board as compensation, Vi, I think we might. She might even know her way around the garden."

"Oh, wouldn't it be lovely, Vern?" Viola said, staring off into the future, allowing herself dreams of a horticultural heaven.

Turning the page of her novel and holding on to the corners of her mouth, Verna did not look up. "Quite nice, dear, but hadn't we better wait until Mr. Sibley finds himself a wife?"

Viola took a deep breath: "Vern, Ernest has met someone. Her sister looked up from her book, amused.

"I know, Dear."

"You know?" Vi said.

"Well, he's been spending an uncommon amount of time at the pub and no one could have as much lumbago as Ernest's father appears to."

Viola smiled in relief.

Verna continued. "So, he's actually found someone?"

"Yes, and he's quite taken with her. They want to marry."

"What's the woman's name, Viola?"

"Brown. Agnes Mae Brown.

"Sounds a bit common don't you think?" Verna remarked.

"Well, dear, Mr. Sibley is not exactly a member of Parliament."

(To be continued).