Chapter 33

Chapter 33

          Mr. Richardson was in love with my mom. I couldn’t believe this the man that had always seemed to resent me was in love with my mother. I couldn’t even process that this man was in love with her, my mother.

 “Yes, and I still think he is. Your mother was also in love with him as well.” She said. My eyes widened I shook my head.

“No she was in love with my dad.” I protested. She nodded.

“She was, but she was also in love Mr. Richardson as well. She was dating your father at the time. But Mr. Richardson and she had secret feelings for one another. She really was in love with your father but she had also fall in love with Mr. Richardson. You know it’s possible to be in love with two people. Like a love triangle.” She said. I nodded.

“But my mom never told me.” I said.

“She probably didn’t want you to know much about her past. She always felt ashamed about it. And she was always felt guilty about hurting Mr. Richardson. She was most likely still in love with him. But she chose to be with your father over him. And I think that it really did hurt him. A year later you were born and so was Christian. And when he saw you at the age of five he thought that you looked like your mother. And this made him sad. It made him want to dislike you so that he wouldn’t look at you and feel pain thinking about your mother. But then it got worse when he found out that your mother had died in a car accident. I think that destroyed him. And you, you survived and hated you for your appearance because you reminded him of her.”

“I can’t believe that he resents me because of her.” I said in disbelief.

“And now think about it when you are now dating his son.” I shook my head.

“He thinks that I will break your heart.” I stated.

“Yes the heartbreak destroyed him into thinking that the Richardson’s sons were forever cursed to the Smith’s daughters. I think he believes that she chose Steve because there is some curse. But in reality there isn’t anything but choice. He just can’t accept that she chose someone else.” She said.

“I can’t believe that he would hold that against you though.” Christian said shaking his head in disbelief as well. I shrugged.

“I was always told that I had the beauty of my mother but the spirit of my father.” I said. She nodded.

“Your mother wasn’t a bad person. No one chooses who you fall in love with and when you do there isn’t anything that you can do about it.” She was right. It really just happens. After this we had dinner and talked. But I still couldn’t get what she said about my mom and Mr. Richardson out of my head. I couldn’t believe that she broke his heart. But she must have loved my dad more than him. I couldn’t believe that my mother or father never told me though.

 When I got home I walked into the living room where my grandmother was sitting on the couch reading a book. She looked up to me and smiled. She put down her book and took her glasses off.

“Jesse,” She stood and turned to face me. “How was dinner over at the Richardsons?” She asked.

“It was fine,” I said. “Did you know?” I asked.

“Know what?”

“About my mom and Mr. Richardson?” I asked. She stared at me and sighed.

“Yes, I did.” She admitted. “It was a long time ago Jesse. But she was faithful to your father. And yes your father knew about this. Dear she loved your father more and said that she could see them together in the future together. She was happy and over time after you was born she only loved John as family and grew out of being in love with him. But I know that he never moved on. Not truly anyway. But I know that he does love Martha. And he has always remained faithful to her.” She said. I nodded.