Chapter Four

The shower worked to wake me up. I realized I had been an idiot. Maybe it was everything that had happened, or maybe I just needed a moment of utter and complete breakdown- either way, it didn't matter, I was now officially pissed off and ready to watch some heads roll.

As soon as I stepped out, Grandpa was waiting for me.

“Hi, Grandpa.” My voice was timid.

“Hello, sweetheart. I was only a little worried.” He smiled at me, his blue eyes twinkling.

“Oh, Grandpa!” I ran into his open arms.

“Is it behind us?” He held me back as he asked.

“Yes. It won't happen again. Has anyone found Dominic?” He was a task I was ready to deal with.

“No, dear. Should I send more to search for him?”

“It won't be necessary. I’ll bring him back.” My words were certain.

“I thought so. Leland wanted to send at least Derrick after him, but I suggested he wait for you to come around.” He chuckled.

“Ah, Leland. I should talk to him too.” I hated how I treated those closest to me.

“Yes, that boy is a dear friend. He stood up to your grandmother, you know.” He eyed me.

“Yes, I know. He is either the bravest person alive or the stupidest.” I laughed.

“Perhaps a little of both. He knows you, Emma.” His wise eyes told me that he knew my little secret.

“Yes, Grandpa, he does.”

“Then I will let your grandmother know you are fine. She'll want to see you.” He warned me.

“I'll see her before I see anyone else.” It was better to deal with Grandmama first.

“I'm glad that Michael insisted on coming.” He left the room.

Thank you again, Mike. I sent the message to him without trying to hold the connection.

Always, love. He left it in my thoughts like a gentle kiss.

She didn't knock. She just pushed her way in.

“Emma Mary Hutchinson!” Her voice told me that she was relieved.

“I'm sorry, Grandmama.” I hugged her.

“Do you even know what you've put the family through?” She chided me.

“Not that much. Mom and Dad aren't here.” I laughed.

“That is not funny. We decided not to inform your parents after the hospital incident.” She told me.

“Wow, really?” That was a shock.

“Yes. Now, I need to know what is going on with you, Child.” She sat in a wingback chair by the window- her back ramrod straight.

“I'm fine now, I promise. I think it was just a combination of everything that happened recently and then Dominic being an idiot.” I sighed.

“What is wrong with that boy?” She questioned.

“I plan on finding out. That is, once I bring him back here.” My eyes narrowed.

“That's my granddaughter. I was worried I might have lost you somewhere on this road.” She stood.

“I'm not going anywhere, Grandmama. I might have my moments, but I'll always be me.” I smiled at her.