▸NEW FRIENDS

NEW FRIENDS

NEW FRIENDS

Saturday, the 3rd of February

Tequila puddles around the shot glasses as Maddison pours another round. She nudges the glass across the bench and smiles. I hate tequila, any straight alcohol, but I can't say no to her.

We raise our glasses and she bounces with excitement, somehow managing not to spill any liquid from the small glass.

"Here's to you and here's to me, the best of friends we'll always be, but if by chance we disagree then fuck you and here's to me."

Our glasses clink and I quickly shot the drink. It burns my throat and I shiver with disgust.

"Again?"

"No."

"What happened to my drinking buddy?"

"She found herself a boyfriend and stopped drinking so much."

"I liked the old Charlie." She pouts.

"I'm still fun, I just require less liquor to reach party mode."

Maddison purses her lips then smiles.

"You know what, that's probably a good thing."

"When you say it like that, I don't know."

"On a serious note, Noah is good for you. I was worried about you since you don't message me as much. Now I see how you are, I'm happy. You deserve this happiness, especially after what happened with your mother and moving here."

"Thanks, Mads."

She bumps her shoulder into mine and smiles.

"We should probably change because Percy is about to blow up my phone from the amount of messages he's sending me."

"Did you mention you were putting makeup on?"

"Yes?" She raises an eyebrow.

"Percy is very impatient." I shake my head.

Noah pokes his head into the kitchen, his phone pressed to his ear.

"Is that Percy?" Mads frowns.

He nods and Maddison rolls her eyes. She takes the phone from Noah and wanders down the hallway, a string of mumbled sentences and curse words.

"You can't rush Mads." I chuckle.

"Perhaps today Percy will finally learn you can't rush women."

"Don't worry, he'll be learning more than that."

Noah walks further into the kitchen and I close the remaining space between us. He kisses my forehead and smiles.

"I should change otherwise it'll be making us late."