Dear Diary

Written for Starlight Book Club's Summer Writing Marathon: Week 1

Prompt: Create a character who has just met someone they love during summer vacation, but now the vacation is over and as they say, "all good things come to an end". Write a heartfelt journal entry describing the feelings and emotions that were felt from that character's perspective. Remember to dig deep.

___

Dear diary,

I met someone this summer.

He's unlike anyone I've ever met before. His eyes are blue like the ocean, his hair is brown like melted chocolate, his lips are soft and tasted like moonlight.

I remember when we first met. I walked into a small café on the edge of town just as he was walking out and our eyes locked and it felt like the whole world melted away and it was only me and him. It was magical. It made me believe in love at first sight again.

I remember when we went on our first date. We were in a carnival in the next town. We marvelled at the colours, the blinking lights, the joy in the air, the ever present smell of cotton candy and caramel popcorn. We rode the Ferris wheel and when we reached the top, he took my hand in his, and it was like the whole world came to a standstill. And there was nothing more I wanted than to freeze the moment and spend an eternity with him. It was so warm. And it made me believe that there is such thing as true happiness in this broken world of ours.

I remember our first kiss. We were in the park, in the middle of town. The sun was setting and the lake glistened under the majestic sky. We sat on a bench and watched the water. My head was on his shoulder and his arms were wrapped around me. He turned to look at me and he told me that I was the best thing to ever happen to him. He lifted my chin ever so gently with his finger and he pressed his lips to mine. It was so breathtaking. It made me realise that, no matter how much you read about it in books or watch it on a screen, some things can only be felt with the heart.

I remember when he told me he loved me. We were at the beach at sunrise, standing on the edge of the water. It was dark, so dark, and I was scared. But he told me to have faith, to believe. And so I waited. I waited with him by my side, my fingers intertwined with his. And then, I saw it. The sky lightened, from black to navy to orange to blue. And the sun rose, as if telling me that everyday is a new day, and everyday, there's hope. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. He turned to me and held both my hands in his. And he told me he loved me. And I told him I loved him. And it made so much sense. It's why it never worked out with anyone else before.

I remember how he made me feel inside. It was a roller coaster, an adventure I wish I could go on again and again everyday. Whenever I saw him, my heart would skip a beat, and my lips would break out into a smile. Whenever our eyes met, it was like the whole world just disappeared, and the only thing that mattered was him and me. Whenever our lips collided, it was as if the stars exploded, as if the whole universe was rooting for us. Whenever I was with him, it was as if the hole in my heart is filled, as if he was the answer I've been searching for all this time. It was the only thing that mattered.

It made me believe in love again.

I remember when we had to say goodbye. When the magic of summer came to an end and it was time to go our separate ways. I remember our last night together, when we just lay under the sky and watched the stars. We knew we couldn't be together anymore and that we had to leave but at that time, all we wanted was to spend our last moments side by side. And even if it is our last, it didn't cease to be as magical as ever.

It was heartbreaking. It was heartbreaking because I knew he was the one.

But he had to go.

And I couldn't do anything about that.

Ryan, I love you. I know, without a doubt, that I love you. And I wish we didn't have to part ways but even the best things in life has to come to an end. And I love you, so much, more than I've ever loved before, but I have to let you go. I hope you had as magical a moment with me as I did with you. I hope you find a person who will love you more than I did.

And, maybe, just maybe, we'll meet again. At another time, in another place, when the universe is in place and when everything is right. Or maybe we'll meet again in another lifetime. And maybe, just maybe, when that time comes, we can finally be together for eternity long.

I love you, Ryan. Now and forevermore.

Yours truly,
Emilia