And He Waited

He waited.

As he did. Every day. After she left. Waiting for her to come home.

He didn't have anything to do.

He slept. Ate some food. Sipped some water. Watched the clouds through the windows. Laid down on the soft, with his head resting comfortably on the cushion.

He was bored. He didn't have anything to do.

Until he heard the creak of the door, and she walked in, sweaty and tired. But her face lit up as soon as he saw her. He ran towards her and hugged her, knocking her over. But she was laughing. And joyed filled every fibre of his being. And that was good enough for him.

But one day he waited.

He waited and waited and waited. He watched the bright sun turned orange and then red and eventually, it disappeared. He could see the moon through the window, wet with raindrops.

Thunder filled the room, and he jumped with every rumble. He hid under the blanket on the bed, waiting for her to come.

Waiting, waiting.

When was she going to come home?

Waiting, waiting.

Waiting until he fell asleep, cozy under the covers on a cold night.

But even if he was warm, without her by his side, he felt like something was missing.

He waited the next day for her to come back again. The food ran out, and he had nothing to eat. He forced the cupboards open, rummaging through them, hunger piercing his stomach.

The sun went up and the sun went down.

The moon went up and the moon went down.

It rained and it shone and it thundered.

And yet she still wasn't home.

He was running out of food, with no way to go out to get some more. He was anxious, constantly pacing around.

And then the door creaked. His ears perked up to the sound he had been longing to hear. He ran towards the door, excitement coursing through his body. But she wasn't on the other side.

It was a stranger. A guy. He didn't recognise him.

The stranger walked in, a grim expression on his face.

The stranger bent down, so that he could see him in the eye, and patted his head.

And then he hugged him.

"I'm so sorry, Bubbles. She's gone. You've been a good boy," the stranger said, his voice breaking.

He barked at the stranger, before collapsing to the ground.

She couldn't be gone. The one person who meant everything to him. Who gave him a home when he was shivering in fear at the shelter, remembering the bitter cold from the rain in winter on the sidewalk.

But she was no longer.

And he was once again a lost dog without an owner, with nobody to love.

___

A/N: Tbh, I've never had a dog. But I really wish I had. I love dogs so much and they just make me so happy cause they are soooo adorable. I love cats too but I'm a dog person through and through. Or perhaps my constant irrational craving for a dog's love stems from the deprivation of pet dogs as a kid.

Anyway, shout out to PurpleCielo1117 for giving me this prompt. I'm quite happy with how it turned out, even though it's short. I hope you like it too!