Chapter 1 - Overjoyed

Dedicated to SallySlater who helped me with the blurb. <3 Check out her book Paladin, and maybe her new 1D fan-fiction. ^^

Presenting the last book in "The Lores of Lyra" : Burning Star

*Note* This CAN be read as a stand-alone work.

Burning Star

Chapter 1 – Overjoyed

Amelia had always thought the garden to be the Star Temple’s most breathtaking place. She enjoyed the serenity of walking through the magical flora. Yet, it was with a heavy heart that she stepped from the staircase and walked deeper into the natural art.

Lost in thought, she walked aimlessly. Today’s studies were already over, and all she could do now was wait for the morrow to come around. It was all she could ever do—wait.

“Is something wrong, Amelia?” Garnet asked.

Amelia halted. He was standing with his back towards her amongst the flora in the temple garden. How had he known she was there? She stopped in the middle of the flowers and looked down to the ground. “No, Elder Garnet.”

“I recognize a troubled mind when I see one,” he said, followed by a small chuckle. “I’ve seen a few of them in my later years—believe it or not.” She could hear him coming closer, and soon after, his hand guided her head upwards. “What’s troubling you, dear?”

Amelia didn’t know how to explain it. Time had passed so quickly, and her year-day was here again. Of course, this wasn’t her actual day of birth, but it was the closest thing she had. Exhaling deeply, she gathered up the courage to speak, “You know that my year day is in two sunsets.”

He nodded. “Yes, I am aware of that.”

Amelia hesitated. Garnet didn’t like to think of this day more than necessary. She knew that he played overjoyed for her, but inside her was hurting. It had something to do with the lost Star who helped her out. Eric had told the story so many times, yet she couldn’t remember everything. There were simply too much information inside her head.

“Amelia?” he asked. She turned her head to see the older man with a cocked eyebrow.  

“Do you think they’ll come back for that?” she blurted. Realizing the bold way she’d spoken, she bit her bottom lip in shame.

Think, Amelia. Think before you speak, she scolded herself.

Garnet chuckled heartily and placed a hand on her shoulder. “They’ve never missed your year day before, dear.”

“But what if they do?” Her hands started to become moist with sweat—she was nervous.

He was silent for a while before he smiled at her. “Walk with me, Amelia.”

She obliged and followed him as he started to walk through the garden. They passed her favorite place: the bench with surrounding begonias and she sighed in contempt at the sight of the little flowerbed with Star catchers.

The yellow flower, which had the night sky in its petals, shone bright even in the daylight. She stopped and bent down to caress the soft petals. Something as simple as being near this flower helped in making all of her worries disappear.

“You are aware what they’re doing, aren’t you?” Garnet asked.

She didn’t look at him, just moved her head up and down in a small nod.

“And you understand the importance of their task?”

Amelia gulped. “Yes, Elder Garnet.” She exhaled. “Their work is to unite the old country with the rest of Astron, along with making the people of Astron aware of the Black Holes existence.”