Chapter 13 - The Rapples

Chapter 13 – The Rapples

Amelia once read in a book that the human mind went into a form of stasis if they experienced a significant shock. Therefore, it came to no surprise that she couldn’t do anything but stare at Vega, stumbling to find anything to say.

“B-but… Y-you…. I…” she tried to speak, but to no avail. There was no chance of any coherent sentence forming inside her mind. Instead, she watched the leather-clad woman laugh heartily. Heat rushed to Amelia’s cheeks, but she couldn’t take away her eyes.

Vega took a seat on the grass beside Amelia. “Don’t look at me like that,” she said and nudged Amelia in the side, softly, with her elbow. “It’s just me.”

“Are you real?” Amelia asked. “I mean, is this actually you? Not some sort of illusion.”

Vega padded down her own body and grinned. “I feel real.”

While Amelia had a suspicion that Vega wasn’t trying to mock her, she still couldn’t stop the feeling of embarrassment. Solem, her face must resemble a tomato by now. She shook her head and asked, “But how?”

Vega smiled. “Because of you.”

“Me?” Amelia gasped, pointing at herself while staring at Vega with wide eyes.

“Yeah.” Vega nodded. “You are a special young lady, Amelia.”

“Is it because of my father?” Amelia asked, and then realized she’d planned to keep it a secret.

“Your father?” Vega cocked an eyebrow.

“You know…” Amelia fiddled with her hands. “Rigel…”

“Ahh!” Vega smiled. “I wasn’t sure if you knew about that. The reception has been somewhat funky lately. It happens when Black Holes are near. Did you know… that we couldn’t see what they’re up to when we’re in our star form? It’s so annoying.”

Amelia smiled, and then jerked over to embrace Vega. “I’ve missed you so much, Vega.”

Vega returned the hug, squeezing lightly. “I’ve missed you too, Amelia.”

 There was no way to express the feeling of relief that flooded through Amelia. She didn’t know how, and she didn’t know what their next task would be, but she knew that Vega would find out. Her prayers had somehow been heard, and here was their salvation. The thought alone made Amelia feel lightheaded.

The best part was when Joshua would see—

Joshua… oh, darn… She’d forgotten all about Joshua and Eric. She jumped to her legs, startling Vega.

“What is it?” Vega asked. “What’s wrong?”

“We have to find Joshua and Eric—they were taken.”

Vega rose from the ground and placed an arm around Amelia’s shoulder. “There, there. Tell me everything, and we’ll figure something out.”

Amelia agreed, and tried to relax. She told Vega everything that had happened. From her and Eric arguments, to how she sneaked out and followed them.

In the middle of the tale, Vega gestured to the forest, and they started to walk. Amelia didn’t stop her story. Instead, she rambled on about the cave, and the oracle. With extraordinary glee, she told Vega everything about her powers, and how she used them to save the Tome, well almost saved it.

 “So you can manifest things?” Vega asked.

Amelia nodded. “I thought it was just a silly party trick. I showed it to Eric and Garnet back at the temple.”