Chapter 9 - Evil Counterpart

Chapter 9 – Evil Counterpart

Amelia woke up to a light tug on her arm. She groaned and turned over on her side. It couldn’t be morning already—she was still tired.

“Amelia,” Orianna’s voice called from her right. “It’s time…”

That made her move. She shot upright and looked around the room. A faint dizziness spread, and she held her forehead for a moment before looking at the oracle. “It’s time?”

The girl nodded. Amelia sighed and rubbed the mucus from her eyes. Solem, they’d stayed up late yesterday. Of course, Thomas had advised her to go to bed, but she insisted on trying to recreate the entire centerpiece in crystal. If she managed, the book wouldn’t be much harder. A joy spread inside her. She couldn’t wait to see Eric’s face when she traveled home, and told him that there was no need for his crusades any longer. She would tell him that she’d taken care of things and that everything would be okay.

As Amelia thought of it, she couldn’t stop a smile from forming on her face. It would be a sweet reunion, Amelia had it all figured out. He’d be rendered speechless from her sheer geniality, and then he’d take her in his arms, holding her tight. She imagined his face slowly nearing hers, his lips touching—

“Hello? You in there?” Orianna asked, breaking Amelia’s daydream.

Amelia could feel heat rush to her cheeks, and praised Solem that the oracle was blind. Clearing her throat, she looked towards the girl. “Yes?”

“You need to start as soon as possible.” Orianna shuffled around on her knees, placing herself beside Amelia. “I haven’t gone through the whole re-writing process with you yet. But it’s just as important.”

“Well, how is it going to work?” Amelia frowned. “Would you want me to learn the basics first?”

Orianna was quiet for a moment, tapping her chin with a finger. “I can walk you through it, but I can’t explain it properly until we have the book.”

“Well,” Amelia said, and started to comb through her hair with her fingers. “I’m listening.”

The oracle sighed. “Do you know the constellations, Amelia?”

“I know of some,” she answered.

“You know of your origin, I take it?”

This confused Amelia. “What do you mean?”

“Have you not wondered why Thomas calls you Star Daughter?” Orianna asked, her voice sounding surprised.

Of course, Amelia had wondered. But she figured it was because of the whole touched-by-Vega thing that they seemed so fascinated by.

“Do you remember your birthplace?” Orianna asked.

“Yeah. I was born in Orion—that’s why I snuck out of the Star temple.” Amelia scratched her head. “I figured I knew where the Tome was hidden.”

“You weren’t entirely wrong, dear.” The oracle smiled. “The book hiding place has something to do with Orion, just as the Elders said.”

“Figures. Those old men know stuff.” Amelia snorted at her own joke.

“They are ignorant fools.” Orianna’s voice rose in volume. “They believe they know everything, despite the fact that they have no connection to the old country’s ways.”

Amelia didn’t dare to say a word. Instead, she opted to listen carefully.

“Don’t get me wrong,” Orianna said and calmed down slightly. “The Elders definitely know a thing or two, but they don’t know enough about Astronia—much like your guardian friends.”