Chapter Sixteen

SELENA

I don't know why it hurts so much. I won't look like I'm desperate; I refuse to be that woman. He has a family now, and I don't want to break that up. This has to be the worst thing that has ever happened to me, aside from the termination rumor. I flew all the way out here for what? What the hell did I think was going to happen? This isn't the movies or a romance novel with a happily ever after for me. I'm forcing something that I should just let go of.

"Selena, wait." I turn to see Caleb jogging towards me. He pulls me into his arms, his lips landing on mine. "Don't go. I want...no, I need you to stay with me."

I look into his eyes debating what I should do. What would be best for me at the end of the day? If I stay, I would only be hurting myself, and if I go, it will be the same thing. I don't think I am going to win this battle with him and Evelyn. She has something that will always bind them. She holds the upper hand in this stupid love triangle.

I have to trust my heart.

"I can't." I close my eyes as he places me back on my feet. "I'm so sorry. I should have never come out here to see you. I don't know what I was thinking. It was silly of me." So fucking silly of me.

"No, you knew what you were doing, and I do too. I love you, Selena. I'm madly in love with you, and I don't care who knows. I've got you back in my life, and I don't want to be without you." he says holding on to me for dear life.

"You have a family now." I bite down on my bottom lip. I will not cry.

"No, I don't have a family. I'm having a child with a woman who only wants to stay in the spotlight. I will love my child regardless of who the mother is, but I want to start a family with you."

"Caleb?"

"That came out wrong. I want to raise that child with you by my side. We can be a family. If you want children, we can make some, and I wouldn't mind the making process as long as it's with you." He pulls me into his chest, and his hands roam my body. He cups my ass and gives it a squeeze. "I would love nothing more than to start that process today—right now."

He just confessed his love for me, and all I can think about is Evelyn. She looks like she would do something spiteful to him...maybe not let him see his child or worse. Jeez, Selena, grow up and just tell him what you know. He has the right to know Evelyn is lying to him.

"Caleb, I have something to tell you."

"What is it, baby?"

"Are you sure Evelyn is actually pregnant? This could be some stunt for you to stay with her. As you said, she wants to remain in the spotlight." I look at him, and something doesn't seem right.

"Do you want kids?"

"Yeah, but I don't want any right now. Why?" I'm now genuinely confused about what the hell is going on here. One minute he is loving and caring, and now he seems distant and cold.

"So, you wouldn't want to be around my child?"

"I never said that." Where the hell is this coming from?

"But you are making an accusation—a nasty one at that." He takes a step back. He thinks I'm the one in the wrong. like I'm the one lying.

"No, no, no, no. Listen, Caleb. I just heard she was out partying hard the other weekend in New York. Taking shots of tequila and vodka, I just don't think she is pregnant. It has nothing to do with me not wanting kids right now or even being around any. Caleb, where is this coming from?" I take a step towards him, and he takes another back. "I'm confused. Did I say something wrong?"