7

The moment the game was over, I left not waiting another minute, in fear that Mason would see me and convince me to attend a party I had no real interest in attending.

I had to weave my way through the twang of cheering fans, yes our school won and I should stay back to congratulate Mason, but he already has many adoring female fans for that.

So me not being present now or at the party won't matter, I doubt he would even notice my absence, besides I'm still grounded. Mom only let up just because it was Mason.

The parking lot was chaos, with the other school vandalizing our school, people fending them off and people making out, too busy in lip lacking to notice the school flag burning.

I made sure to lock my car doors before driving off.

I bobbed my head in time of the music as I cruised down the usually busy street, that was silent tonight because of the Friday night game.

I slowed down after seeing a second car in the driveway, one that I didnt recognize, for some reason I started to shake, thinking about all the negative and worst possibilities.

I took a deep breath and pushed the front door open, my eyes widen but at the same time, I wasnt so surprised to see him, my father.

"Bella." He smiled, opening his arms wide, expecting me to jump in his embrace but instead, I took a step back and shook my head. Still not believing that my mother of all person let this man back into our lives.

The man before me was not my father, he looked nothing like the person I knew. The man standing before me had a rough look with ungroomed hair and a wild beard, his eyes seemed crazier than before, his usual olive skin was darker and he was much bulkier as well. Looking much meaner and more dangerous.

I somehow managed to run around him and up the stairs to lock myself in my room, everything that happened four years ago came rushing back and I couldnt contain my tears.

I sat in my closet, a defence mechanism that I came up with to avoid my father.

I don't know why they even let him about at all?

I bit into a pair of jeans in an attempt to stifle my screams, I hugged my body tight, aware that I might ruin the dress but I didnt have the strength to take it off.

I felt like running away.

I closed my eyes but all I could see were scenes from the past, from where my father would come home drunk and beat my mother, and that day. The day I drunkenly drove to the liquor store and shot a man but that wasn't even the worst thing, the friends he had weren't the best. They were robbers, kidnappers and mingled in the black market.

I eventually crawled to bed, where I cried myself to sleep and had a fit full night, I kept dreaming about all the bad times and the things that have happened to me.

In one dream I kept calling out for help but no one was there to rescue me.

I jumped out of my sleep and fell off the bed, the music came again then I realized that it was my phone ringing.

I made a note of the time to cuss Mason out, "this better be good Reid. Its four-fifteen."

There was a heavy sigh and a male voice saying to wrap it up.

I went still, was he in jail?

Oh, my God what did he do now? And why call me and not my parents?

"Listen I don't have much time, come bail me out." Mason hang up after that.

Tears rolled down my cheek, I love my best friend but I just wished he would stay out of trouble and stop dragging me into it. I already made a name for myself at the station, even though my father forced me to do what I did.

I sighed before rubbing the sleep from my eyes, she headed for the door but thought against it and climbed out the window instead.

I swear if he wasnt my best friend and I didnt care, I would have gone right back to bed. I grumbled as I climbed down the ladder.

Somehow I managed to miss a few steps and fell, I land on my back and laid there for a few minutes groaning, only to crawl away on all fours to my car and drove off.

When I got to the station the place was practically empty and I had to walk around until I spotted an officer with a bored look on his face.

"Umm, hello. I squeaked," out of intimidation.

The officer turned his raw ever searching eyes to me.

"How may I help you?" His voice was much gentler than his looks but that still didnt stop my heart from racing.

"I-m here for a Mason Reid. Umm to bail him out." I could feel a single sweat running down the side of my face.

"You have ten grand?" The officer scoffed.

My hands shake, glad I took up my emergency money but after tonight I will have to start saving all over again, well at least I'll have two thousand dollars left.

I watched as the police officer counted the cash slowly, praying that he would hurry it up. When we finally got to the holding cells I noted a few other guys from the football team and a few girls from school there as well.

My eyes zeroed in on Mason, who was around the back leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. He looked horrible, to say the least, the green shirt he had on was torn in a few places. His white pants had mud and green stains, his skin was filled with bruises, mostly his arms.

When my eyes travelled to his face I gasped out, his once handsome face was covered in cuts and bruises, his square jaw had a nasty gash on it, his bottom lip had a cut. His eyes were black and blue and his nose was bleeding, and a cut was above his thick brows.

He didnt look like the Mason I was used to, which made me curious to know what happened.

When all the papers were signed, Mason got back all his belongings, I stood before him ready to give him a piece of my mind but he pushed past me. I turned to follow behind him but before I could get any further the police officer stopped her.

"You're James Forbes's daughter?"

I nod once but he didnt say anything more.

When I turned to leave I could hear him saying something under his breath, something that sounded like Im sorry for you and may God have mercy on his soul.