10

The next morning I was early to school, something that hasn't happened since the ninth grade.

This was maybe the first time I have ever walked the school halls alone, I didn't have any female friends or friends in general. Mostly because they only talked to me to get close to Mason, as soon as I found out that everyone only talked to me to get close to Mason I dropped them, the females on the other hand were too catty. Gossip a lot and there was just too much drama for my liking.

I held down my head high as Mason and Charlotte walked by, she made sure to put up a show by flipping her hair and plastering a very bright smile on her face, as she hung on tightly to Mason's upper arm. Mason on the other hand looked like he was in pain, I ignored the two,' shuffled off a laughed and continued to my locker.

The thing was, I couldn't help but look back, then I noticed Mason doing the same, a frown appeared on his face, which made me turn away quickly.

I let out a scream when something cold touched the back of my neck, I didn't know that anyone was so close to me, I spun around to come face to face with Romaine. He was dressed in a blue sweatshirt, black jeans and smelled of herbs.

"Sorry to scare you," Romaine held his hands up for emphasis, looked around then back at me, to which he gave a sweet smile.

I smiled back.

Again Romaine looked around, causing me to do the same.

"What are you doing?" I felt a bit awkward.

Romaine gave a nervous laugh, "don't want your BFF to attack me again."

I rolled her eyes, "he's not my friend anymore, so you have nothing to worry about."

Romaine let out a laugh, which echoed off the walls of the empty hallway.

All I did was raised a brow at him.

"Honestly, your friend can't beat me up if he tried." Romaine winked.

I looked up at him, checking him out, glancing him over from head to toe. "But-"

His laugh cut me off, "Isabella, look at me compared to your friend, I'm much bigger. Not only in height but in weight and muscles. I only allow him to punch me those few times because I'm trying to change my ways, besides if I should really retaliate, it would damage his ego. Trust me, I was much worst than how he is now, hence why I'm at this school."

I said nothing as his words bounced around my head.

"Believe it or not, I was the captain of the wrestling team back at my old school, plus I used to do underground fighting." He flexed his arms causing his muscles to move.

Looking at him now, like really looking at him I knew that he wasn't telling a lie. "But why would you--"

Again he cut me off, "like I said I'm trying to change. My parents had said that they would disown me if I don't. I have done some bad things in the past and I'm trying to change that.''

I nodded once.

Just then the bell rang and a flood of students came streaming in.

"I should go," I pointed over my shoulder.

Romaine laughed and shook his head, "we have class together Isabella."

I gave him a puzzled look.

"If you weren't so busy ditching classes, sitting at the back and limiting yourself to that boy you would have noticed me," he closed his eyes for a brief second. "Sorry, I didn't mean it like that." He added.

I shook my head, "it's fine, besides you are right. Mason was nothing but a bad influence, my grades were slipping because of him, I was losing myself and sight of what I really wanted to do."

Romaine nodded as we both walked together to class, we didn't say another word to each other which quickly turned to awkward silence and discomfort.

"Glad to see that you made it on time Forbes, for once." Mrs. Parker said.

I blatantly ignored Mrs. Parker and sat beside Romaine, for the first time in forever I was sitting beside someone other than Mason and at the front of the class, which I am sure that by the end of class the entire school will know about this.

To my surprise Mason came in shortly after, he threw a dirty look my way then at Romaine, I turned my head away to focus on what Mrs. Parker was saying. Even though I could feel Mason's eyes burning holes in the back of my head but I tried my hardest to ignore him.

For the second and third periods, I sat beside Romaine, by lunchtime the two of us walked the halls and of course there were whispers, which I tried to ignore as I walked side by side with Romaine.

"Really skank, not even a week and you are with someone else?'' I didn't have to turn around to know that it was Charlotte, her annoying voice was unmistakable.

"I'm talking to you bitch." She grabbed after me.

I spun around with an annoyed look, "and you are upset why? I thought all you wanted was Mason, now you have him so what's your problem?"

Charlotte's face began to turn red and she screeched at me, all at once, Charlotte was slapping me across the face.

I managed to catch Charlotte's hand before she could deliver another blow, I twisted her hand then bent it painfully behind her back.

"Honestly, Charlotte what's your problem? Reid and I were only friends and we are not anymore, you have him all to yourself now, so what the hell do you want?" I bent her arm further back until she cried out. "What do you want Charlotte? I won't stop until you say it, so talk." I hissed, still bending her hand behind her back until tears streamed down her face.

"Well seeing that cat got your whore ass tongue and you possibly don't want a thing, I suggest that you leave me the hell alone from now on." I pushed Charlotte forcefully away, causing her to stumble but Mason was there to catch her.

I rolled my eyes at the two then entered the cafeteria, I quickly purchased my food, scanned over the lunchroom until my eyes found Romaine, who was sitting by himself at the back. I walked over to him, ignoring with her peers were saying.

"Nice to see that you have my back." I took the only seat beside him.

Romaine head slowly turned his head in my direction, "I left after seeing that you can handle yourself and I don't hit girls."

Cady said nothing except eat my lunch, unable to stop my mind from drifting back to Charlotte and about why she came at me, I wasn't friends with Mason anymore. So what was her problem?