7: Receiving Books For Review

You're ready to start reading books but looking at your shelves, you decide actually you want something new to read. That's when having an open call for books comes in. Every book blog really should come with a review policy about what genres you like reading, genres you want to avoid and where you plan to post your review up such as on Goodreads.

Here's mine as an example: https://marriedtobooksreviewsandblog.wordpress.com/review-policy/

It's easier to create a business email for your blog instead of using your personal address so that the two don't get mixed up. It also creates a more professional approach to your blogging. There are two ways of getting books for review: You either approach the publisher and request them or you promote your services on Social Media so that others can find you. Either way, you will end up with free books either digitally or physically.

There are groups on Goodreads where you can browse authors requests and select the ones you want to do. Please don't go on a requesting spree. I've done that and feel very snowed under with work. Stick to between 2-4 books at a time and I like to go for a variety such as one fantasy book, one ChickLit book etc.

I've found that if you're open to reviewing almost anything, lots more people will follow you and go to your blog and ask for a review. You can have more opportunities that way for blog tours and promotional events with publishers. Some bloggers want to stick to just one genre and that's fine also. Don't be afraid to try new things every now and again. :)

In your reviews, just be honest, state the good points with the book, the bad points, round off the review by either stating you would/wouldn't recommend the book. Also, thank the publishers and authors for sending you a copy of the book. It's polite and shows other bloggers where they can get books from.

My review style is short, sweet but get to the point. Finding what review style works for you can save a ton of time trying to come up with something.