Chapter 25

~Asher's POV~

I only had one thing running through my mind as I hurried down the hallway: how do I sneak out unnoticed?

Did Kade actually expect me to just huddle in the safe room with everyone else while he and the others risked their lives? I had no doubt in my mind that he would return, but I wasn't going to just sit idly by. I could fight and I would fight. I finally had something worth protecting and I wasn't about to go hide when someone threatens it.

My lips tugged in a frown as a pang of guilt hit me. I wasn't lying to Kade. I was heading to the safe room.... to check on Riley and Fallon then leave. Technically, it wasn't a lie, but I couldn't help feel like it was. Kade would be mad if---when---he found out. It was worth it though. I had to do this. To fight. To protect my pack that has become my family.

I rounded the corner, coming up to the hidden door which, at the moment, was open. Flying down the steps, I walked down a short hallway to another open door leading to the safe room. My eyes scanned over the many scared faces, quickly spotting the two I was looking for. I rushed over, bringing Riley and Fallon into a hug.

I'm glad your safe.

"What's going on?" Riley pulled away to look me in the eyes, "Kade said that they're attacking. Isn't this a lot earlier than they thought? Are they going to be okay?"

I clenched my teeth, bringing up a hand to rub my face before turning, I don't know... but I'm going to find out.

"Wait! You're going to leave?" Fallon started to cry, tears trailing down his cheeks, and Riley looked ready to join. I kneeled in front of him, putting a hand on his shoulder and giving a reassuring squeeze.

Don't worry Fallon, everyone is working so hard so you have to have faith in them, okay? You need to be strong and protect your sister for me and Kade. Can you do that?

I watched proudly as he nodded, the tears already stopping as he squared his shoulders and stood up straight. He was so strong, so mature, for his age. I pulled out the picture of my mother and father, gently placing it in his hand.

Will you hold onto this until I get back?

He nodded once, the terrified boy all but disappeared. Glancing at Riley, we shared a look. I tilted my head slightly towards Fallon, silently asking her to look out for him. She bit her lip before nodding back.

"Be safe." It was barely a whisper, but I felt all her worry behind those two words.

I will, I replied as I headed towards the door. No one else noticed me leave, too focused on the howls and growls that could just barely be heard.

With one last look at Riley and Fallon, I gave them a small smile, Lock the door behind me.

My heart thudded in my chest as I headed towards the back of the house. I stopped at the door, hesitating. There were plenty of wolves still here just in case Murphy's pack broke through. I knew I could easily get past them, they weren't expecting me, but my body trembled, not moving past the threshold.

I was scared. Scared of Kade's anger when he found out I didn't stay in the safe room. Scared that my family was in danger. Scared that... there was a chance I wouldn't see some of them ever again.

The thought spurred me into motion. I sprinted across the yard, my heart feeling like it was about to burst from my chest. Making it to the treeline, I didn't stop. I ran until I knew no one followed me.

My hands on my knees, I tried to catch my breath, focusing on where the battle was once I did. I knew where they were almost instantly, my body screaming at me to turn around and get back to safety. I ignored the warning siren going off in my head and shifted.