Chapter 1: Your Chariot Awaits

Song: Slow Burn by State Champs

"I hope it all comes back again
I want to get stuck in your head like 'Everlong' playing on the late night radio
Because you lit a match with your nails on my back
And something tells me I'll never learn
Just another slow burn."

☼ ☽  ☼

"You're seriously leaving me all summer?" Seth inquires, leaning back in my desk chair.

I tug open my underwear drawer and start pulling things out. "We've been over this a million times," I reply and start folding my delicates.

"Yeah, but I didn't think you'd actually go off without me."

"You'll be perfectly fine for three months."

Seth tilts forward, snatching a pair of my lacey underwear I had just folded. "I remember these," he says with a grin.

I try to snatch them from him, but fail. "Give them back!"

He chuckles and raises to his feet. "They were always my favorite too."

My cheeks start burning as I hop to get them. "I swear, Seth, if you don't give them back I'm going to murder you before my dad can!"

Seth lifts them up further. "I know you can jump higher than that, Katherine."

Instead of jumping higher like he wants me to, I imbed my knuckles in his stomach just hard enough for him to drop his arm. I easily get my underwear back.

He starts laughing. "After ten years, I still underestimate you."

I go back to folding and Seth goes back to my desk chair. "Get used to it," I retort. "What are you doing this summer?"

"I'm inviting a few people to my parents' cabin in New York for a few weeks. The rest of the summer is just going to suck probably. Maybe I'll drive down to Florida and join you on the rest of your vacation." He sends me a smirk.

I snort. "Florida is most likely going to be boring, so I don't recommend it."

Seth sighs. "I think this is going to be the longest we've been away from each other."

"Maybe it's for the best," I murmur. "We need time away from each other."

He nods in agreement, even though I can tell he doesn't really agree with me. "I'll miss you though."

"You won't even be thinking about me," I say and ignore the stupid fluttering of my heart. He still makes me weak.

"I don't think you have any idea how often I think about you," he admits and stands again. "But it doesn't really matter, does it?"