Chapter 10: I Have Nothing To Prove

*I didn't get a chance to edit this, so sorry if there are any mistakes.

-----------

I must have the worst timing in history every time I come to Lukas's house.

As I pull into his driveway, he's walking around the side of the house while mowing the lawn. I slide my sunglasses off and step out of my car. I start trekking towards the side of the house he disappeared on.

When I spot him, his back is to me. The sun glistens off his toned back and broad shoulders. I step through the freshly cut grass and eventually make it to him. My fingers brush his bicep so I'm careful not to scare him. He spins around quickly and yanks the headphones from his ears. At first he's surprised to see me and then proceeds to turn off the lawn mower.

"And how did I get lucky enough to see you today, duchess?"

I grin at him. "Did you forget about our plans that quickly?"

"Plans?"

Gosh, he looks so good right now. My mind actually goes blank for a few moments. "Oh, um, we were supposed to talk about fundraising ideas."

He runs a hand through his damp strands and breathes out. "Right, I forgot. I'm almost finished with this and I'll meet you inside. Five minutes good?"

I nod. "Anyone home?"

"No, I'll walk you to my room really quick."

Lukas starts ahead and I follow. We walk back around the house and enter through the garage instead. Or Lukas's art studio. We're instantly greeted by Atlas, who seems way too excited every time I've seen him. I give him a light pet and continue to follow Lukas. We come to a stop in front of a closed door and Lukas pushes it open, entering first. I step into his domain for the first time and I'm not surprised at the painting marring his white walls. His bed is messily unmade, a small desk sits near his window, and across the room is a TV sitting on top of a dresser. It feels like his room.

"Um, sorry about the mess," he says and starts picking up dirty clothes off the floor, tossing them in a hamper. "I've been busy."

"It's fine."

He stops and runs his long fingers through his damp hair. "Give me five minutes and I'll be done," he assures and walks back out, leaving me alone. In his room.

Nibbling on the inside of my cheek, I roam around, looking at all the beautiful and intricate pieces of art work he has on his walls. He's really something else. While moving around his room, I notice empty paint tubes and torn canvas'. Hopefully he didn't give up on the piece he told me about the other night.

Before I can get into any trouble, Lukas appears while wiping the sweat from his face with a small towel. "Used to the Florida heat yet?"

"My hair isn't," I retort teasingly.

Lukas snorts. "You'll get used to it." He moves towards his dresser and starts collecting clothes. "I'm gonna shower, but I'll leave the door opened so we can talk."

Blush instantly coats my cheeks. "O-okay."

He gives me a smile before departing his room and moving across the hall to the bathroom. "So what ideas do you have?"

"Um, I was thinking about doing like a day festival slash market kind of thing." The water turns on. I keep my gaze away from the bathroom while he gets in the shower. "Like we could have someone selling baked goods! I know the perfect bakery to help with that, if you like that idea!"