Chapter 28 - Collision of Dark and Light

28.

Collision of Dark and Light

"What the hell is going on?" Reyna wanted to yell, but her voice was still gone.  

Her frustration manifested as a fist, aimed at Ram's cheek. If she couldn't talk, she could at least hit someone. Her hand went through his face like he was a ghost, whisking some of the ink–like tendrils off his chin only for them to come back and reassemble themselves. Reyna's shock kept her momentum going and her fist made contact with Gahn's back.

He turned and faced her, mouthing the word "hey!" and crossing his arms.

She shrugged and gave him half a smile. "Sorry," she mouthed back.

"That's not very nice, Sister," Ram said, drawing her attention. He wagged a finger in her face before tapping her nose with it.

Oh. He could talk.

She glared at him but he only smiled and returned his gaze to the white and black figures before them. Reyna bit her lip as her own eyes turned back to them as well. She shivered. The memory of the Shadow wrapping itself around her when she faced it after her Initiation visited her mind. Reyna could see its elongated head before her, open mouth nestling a blade meant to penetrate her skull. Even though that had happened years ago, the image was fresh as was her fear.

A hand slipped into her own, fingers lacing with hers. Reyna looked up to see Dante step closer to her. The concern on his face made her think she had probably been wearing her memory's fear on her sleeve. She squeezed his hand and turned back to face the two Spirits before them but not before catching Mundus' glower. His eyes flickered away from her.

Sorry, Mundus, she thought sadly.

An angelic sigh rang throughout the room. It came from the white apparition apparently called Lys. "Umbra, this is not preserving the balance."

The shadow—Umbra now Reyna figured—straightened into a form taller than Lys. "I am trying to save the balance. There is still hope."

Lys went up to meet Umbra. "Our job is to keep the balance smooth and unbroken within the cycles of our occupations. We are not responsible for saving a balance that an outside force brought to ruins. It is out of our hands."

"By saving it, we are doing our requirements to keep it smooth and unbroken."

The white shadow shook its head. "It is useless all the same. It is too far gone."

"It is there where we do not see eye to eye. We were never told what we could not do, simply what we should do. We are a product of the balance. It is only natural for us to try and save it," Umbra said. Reyna thought she heard compassion in its many whispers. 

"The destruction is already done, and you have brought these others into the realms. I have reign over them now." Lys' white hands and arms swept over the room.

Reyna saw as everyone's eyes narrowed. Anger and disgruntlement passed over their features. Cerus gripped the woman in his arms tighter and even the other young lady that was holding the little boy glared at the white shadow.

"No," Umbra said, "this realm is the manifestation and creation of my protégé."

"This is the first time we have met, Lys. I'm Ram," he said and waved.

Lys seemed to study him. "You found yourself an Illusionist. How fortunate. The balance will greatly enhance his powers once he steps up into your position. If such ever comes to be."