Chapter 30

Luke's POV

Alex had decided that today we would be heading out to a Penguins' game tonight. Jamie and Conner were coming as well so we were all going together. I had been texting Dylan quite a bit since Justin introduced us and it was easy.

We picked Connor up and he slid into the backseat with me. He took one look at me and laughed. Alex had forced me into a Crosby jersey and I hadn't been able to get out of it.

"Looking good," Connor teased.

I threw a drink bottle at him and it hit him in the shoulder. He let out a dramatic moan and curled up in a ball, holding his 'injured' shoulder. I rolled my eyes at him and we headed to the arena. I listened to everyone else talk.

There were already a lot of people streaming into the arena and I followed Alex into our seats as Connor and Jamie disappeared to get food.

We had pretty good seats and Alex and I started talking about the game. The Penguins were playing the Rangers and they had been playing well. We talked stats about the game before Connor and Jamie joined us and we started talking about our own team.

Alex quickly stopped the conversation once warmups were finished and the national anthem had been played. I liked watching games live because I can watch what I want to and not what the cameras show.

Both teams had a couple of good chances but neither of them managed to get the puck in the back of the net and the first period ended without score.

"Have you been back to your apartment since the argument?" Jamie asked me.

"A couple of times to pick up things but not when Mom was home," I said softly.

Alex offered me half a smile and I just shrugged.

"How is the hockey team?" Connor asked.

"Annoying but I've kind of got used to them."

"Have you ever thought about not playing?" someone asked.

"I love it too much. I couldn't imagine not playing as much as I am."

The game started up again and we stopped talking and focused on the game in front of us. The game had paused for a couple of minutes and I felt my phone vibrate with a text from Dylan.

It was a clip from one of the other NHL games that was on. It was a goal scored by one of the Islanders and he passed it between his legs and then two opponents' legs to get to his teammate who scored.

Think you can do that?

I sent a reply assuring them that I could do it. Sarcasm highly included. I felt him reply but the game had started and I was interested in watching that. The Penguins ended up winning the game 3-1 and it made the experience even better.

I was starting to drift off to sleep as Jamie drove. I had tried to continue a conversation with Dylan but I was too tired and he realised that pretty quickly and told me that we could continue to talk tomorrow.

My head was resting against the window and was half listening to the conversation going on around me. I was vaguely aware of Connor getting out of the car but I was too tired to really thinking about it.

"Luke, we are here," Jamie said.

I slowly sat up and I was aware that the car had stopped and Jamie was pulling the door beside me open. I stumbled out of and Jamie wrapped an arm around me to help me.

"Thanks for taking me," I said softly.

"It's was lots of fun," Alex said from Jamie's other side.

I headed straight upstairs and crawled into bed.

I found Dylan in the library at lunch time and took the seat opposite him. He already had his stuff spread out and was working on something. After dropping hockey he had started to focus seriously on his work and even in the short amount of time I had known him I knew how important it was.

I spread my own work out because I had work after school and meant that I wouldn't have much time. We didn't talk for a couple of minutes as we were both wrapped up in our work.

"How was the game last night?" he asked.

"It was really cool. The Penguins are a good team to see," I said.

"Are you a Penguins fan now?" he asked.

"Not you too," I pouted.

He smirked at me and I pretended to bang my head on the table. He laughed at me and returned to pouring over one of his textbook. I looked up when I felt someone sit down beside me and saw Justin sitting there. I was surprised because he usually spends his lunch time with the hockey team.

"What are you doing here?" Dylan asked.

"I was getting sick of Mark going on and on so I said that I had an assignment to complete and came to join you two," he said.

We both nodded and we started working and talking about hockey. Justin asked me about whether I was a Penguins fan yet and I did hit him with one of my books.

"How come everyone is asking me whether I am a Penguins' fan yet?" I asked.

"You are a hockey player in Pittsburgh. You have to be a Penguins' fan," Dylan said like it was obvious.

I rolled my eyes and didn't question it anymore. I thought that everyone was being a bit ridiculous and would be happy for the conversation to finish. I wasn't a fan of a particular team, I just appreciated good hockey.

"What are you doing after school?" Dylan asked me.

"I've got hockey training with school and then I'm working," I said.

"Aren't you overworking yourself?" he asked.

Luckily I was saved from answering because Brynn decided to join us. I turned to welcome her to our group and I didn't miss the glances exchanged between Dylan and Justin. I was pretty sure I knew what they were thinking and I didn't want to talk about it.

"How are you?" I asked.

"Not too bad, I've got a bit of work to do but none of it is that hard," she said.

I nodded and she looked like she was thinking of saying something else and I gave her the chance to do that.

"When are you free next?" she asked.

"The day after tomorrow. Do you want to do something?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll text you about it. I have a really cool place to go that I think you will like," she smiled.

I nodded and the four of us continued to talk for the rest of lunchtime.

......................................................................................................................................................................................................

Comment and Vote

The Wise One