Seven Years Ago

"Mr. King's office, please hold," I said as I answered another call.

"Mr. King's office, please hold," I said again in a higher pitched voice and saw him walk past.

"You have board members on one line and your wife on another asking if you're still going out tonight," I said staring at him from my desk.

"I'll take the board's call in my office," He said fixing his suit and brushing past me into his office.

"And your wife?" I asked from a distance.

"Tell her I said no," He said and I heard his office door shut.

Why did I bother getting this job? Two weeks in and I already feel overwhelmed. I'm just a bubble of anxiety.

The phone started ringing again. "Mr. King's office please hold," I said.

"No, I cannot just pass you onto him," I said.

"Because he's in a meeting ma'am," I said and pressed hold. It went on like this for a couple more hours.

Finally, the day was over. I started putting my things into my purse and sighed. I wasn't sure how much I really wanted to do this anymore.

"Great job today," I jumped and looked towards the door.

"Oh, you scared me," I said and laughed while continuing to pack up my things. I swear I am missing an address book.

"No thanks?" He asked and leaned against the door.

"Oh, thank you," I said even though this is the first time since I started that he's acknowledged me. I slid my handbag onto my shoulder, pushing my red hair out of the way. Don't look at him Katy, you look at him and you get sucked into the deep hole of fifty shades of grey. This was the farthest thing from that.

I walked to the door and all but ran into his chest. Great job Katy, great job.

"Eh, sorry," I said and looked down at my feet. My shoes suddenly seemed so interesting. I went with basic black rounded toe pumps.

I started hyperventilating when I realized that he was blocking the entire doorway. I thought for a minute that I could jump out the window.

"Excuse me," I said and tried getting out again, with no luck. Suddenly, I felt a hand wrap around my waist and slide down to my ass. Down boy, I thought and stepped back.

"Don't touch me," I said and tried getting his hand off of me. I felt uncomfortable at this point and just wanted to get out of here.

"You'll get a raise," He said and I felt one of his hands slide up my skirt. To think I wouldn't have minded something like us getting together happening. Turns out he's an asshole though.

I lifted one of my legs up and kneed him. He fell to the floor holding onto his package.

"You can shove that raise of yours," I said and literally kicked him while he was down.

"You fucking bitch," He said and I quickly ran out of the office to the elevator where I took both of my heels off.

"Okay breath, you're okay now," I said to myself. Oh, here come the waterworks. I wiped my tears with one hand and looked over at the hand that was holding my heels.