10. The Oath

Thank you so much @lk_writes for this cover, it's really amazing, you are the best!  Also, big shoutout to my amazing readers, your comments are the life of me, I swear!

Love y'all xxxx

After pouring myself another glass of whiskey, I settled down at the large desk in the safehouse. I had only two nights to study the blueprints again. By now, I had all the blueprints of all the Houses incrusted in my brain but I couldn't make a mistake. I had been doing this for the past 7 hours, my eyes were almost literally bleeding.

Over the centuries, the Houses had remodeled the mansions over and over, so much it was hard to keep track of. It was impossible for my shattered brain to keep track of all the changes. So, when the Montgomery's gave me a second chance at life, without the slightest idea of who and what I was, I took it upon myself to use that time wisely.

Me? Wise? Talk about character development, right?

I was finally sober, well sober from the drugs, and that would've never happened without Jozie and his family. I had to thank them somehow and apparently the thing they held most at heart was to see me finish my education. Or at least get a formal one.

All Prestiges attended the Institute or otherwise known as the great glass prison, a school of high protection and prestige. That way, they wouldn't be 'contaminated' by other non-Prestige Creature and/or mortals. My father, head of the Draygovic House, was fully against the idea and took upon himself to teach all Wolves. I guess, in retrospect, that was when things started to heat up. By breaking millennial traditions, he was turning his back on the other Houses.

So, other than my father's harsh teachings, I had never gotten the pleasure of getting a formal education. It was a blasphemy in the Montgomery family. They weren't Prestiges, but they were highly regarded thanks to their wealth and brainpower. When they learned about that, they sent me straight to college, a mortal one, promising to pay whatever courses I wanted to take. That was as long as I graduated.

That was when I ended up in Architectural Engineering which granted access to all blueprints of all the buildings in the city. Pretty genius, huh?

I know, I'm great.

My head overflowing with diagrams, I decided to take a small break. Well that and the fact that I had almost finished the whiskey bottle and my mind was getting quite woozy. I carefully rolled the plans and took it in the closet, the one I kept firmly locked at all times. There were rows upon rows of rolled up plans and blueprints, each carefully labeled by year and House.

I walked in and placed the scroll on top of the others. My eyes lingered to my left where a little black wooden box lay. It was engraved with multiple signs and hieroglyphics of a long-lost language. I walked to it and grazed my fingers over it, sighing deeply. I couldn't smell what it contained but I could only imagine it, the deep scent filling my nostrils, numbing my whole body. I had to fight the immense urge to open the box immediately. Not now. Not yet.

'' Soon, my love.'' I muttered to myself before closing the light and walking out. Triple checking that the door was locked, I grabbed my coat and headed out.

I kept my blueprints in a small safehouse in the middle of the city, I couldn't keep them at Jozie's or he would get suspicious. I couldn't have him walk in and see what I was about to do. He would never forgive me for that.

At least, when he had dragged me to the Kingsley party a few nights ago, I had to opportunity to check if my blueprints were still valid. If that hadn't been the case, I would've had to either buy or draw new ones. Good thing they had only changes the decoration and not the foundation. That would've retarded my plans.