31. Frames Aren't Just For Pictures

My god damn blade.

My fucking knife was dripping with her blood, poking out of her like a red flag.

How had it gotten there? Who had done this? Did I...?

No of course not god damn! I was too busy screwing my mate. Then who?

I took a few steps forwards, careful not to put one of my bare feet in a puddle of blood. The colors hadn't completely left her face and there wasn't a stench yet. She hadn't been dead for long, a few hours maybe.

One thing was evident and it was the three claw scars on her left cheek. The scars were quite large, they could only belonged to an animal and a very big one at that. Then, why the blade? If a shifter had attacked her, what was the point of killing her with my blade? Why go through all the theatrics?

My eyes scanned the room only to find it still in place. There were no signs of a fight, no signs of breaking in. There was one splotch of blood near the patio door. Again careful of where I walked, I went to check it out since it was the only other bloody place in the room.

I accidentally ruffled the curtains covering the door and something fell to the floor. A blood red note had fallen to my feet, the sight of it causing my blood to burn. I picked it up and read it. Its content almost made me break the whole room.

Oh, what a fate

This was the only good alternate

I hope this doesn't complicate

In fact, I might just celebrate

Because, darling, checkmate

-Your favorite bloodsucker xxx

As soon as my eyes read over the last perfectly calligraphed x, the front door swung open. I took a few steps towards the entrance only to see Jozie being pushed in the room. The wheelchair he sat in was pretty high tech, barely squeaking as he rolled into view.

His tired, but very awake, eyes finally met mine and he gave me one of his warm smile. Oh, how I missed that smile.

'' I didn't know you were waiting for me here! They told me only Beth would be here, but it is such a wonderful surprise to finally see you. Speaking of Beth, where is she?'' his voice flooded out like honey, caressing my poor soul. That was until I remembered what I was hiding behind me.

His soft brown eyes looked around while I was speechless, glued to my spot. His face froze as his eyes finally dropped down to the floor, following the small puddles of blood. Something clouded over his eyes as his shaky hands rolled the wheels and he moved closer to the body.

Without thinking, I blocked his way. '' Don't.''

'' Who's behind you?'' he whispered, his voice breaking.

'' Just... let me take care of it. I don't want you to see this. You just came out of the hospital, you need to rest-...''

'' What did you do?'' he whispered blandly through a clenched jaw.

'' What? No, I didn't-...''

He pushed me aside, just enough to catch a glimpse of the body behind me. A strange sound escaped his lips, his breathing become shallow.

'' Jozie..'' I warned but he weakly tried to push me out of the way once again.

'' LET ME THROUGH!'' he yelled, his entire body shaking as he spat the words as forcefully as he could.

His tone caught me by surprise and I unwillingly took a step sideways. Never in the 5 years of knowing him had he yelled at me. Got impatient? Yes. Raised his voice a little in irritation? Yes. But actually yelled at me? Never.