Chapter # 35

Dedicating this chapter to @naeemnaufer as thanks for publishing my interview in his boo0. :)

__________________________________

Unedited.

Sheheryar's POV:

"I apologize if you were troubled because of me and I also apologize for being selfish." Fiza said coming out of the bedroom where kids were sleeping.

"Ji? (What?)."

"This setup was done to keep the secret of Ehtesham's wedding news from me, and you got involved in it too. I knew it from the start but played along because I wanted to spend some time with kids." She kept her gaze lower.

"...Do you have to be so smart?" She gave a sad smile but remained silent. I take a long breath to school myself. It always happens, since the day I came to know that she was aware of Ehtesham's cheating. I don't understand how can she endure everything without throwing a tantrum. How deep her heart was, which hides everything in it and don't let anyone see it.

"You are aware that I would never stop you from meeting kids. You can always come to see them or call me to drop them at your place."

"I think you are also quite smart to understand that both options aren't suitable for me. I cannot come to your place and ... a divorced person doesn't have any home. She lives like a guest, wherever she lives and besides, I don't have any right over them." She said looking at the kids.

"You have every right over them, just like me. You shouldn't think like this."

I don't why her words pained me so much that I can't stop myself from abruptly denying her.

"That's very kind of you but-"

"But what?"

"I cannot be a part of their lives. So no matter what you and I believe, the fact remains the same. Anyways, that is so kind of you to give me so respect." Again she gave a forced smile.

"Don't you get tired of forcing yourself to smile?"

"Ji?"

"Why do you force yourself to smile when you don't want to?" She opened her mouth to answer but close again. For the first time, she looks startled and I couldn't fathom what I have said to make her this way.

"I... better get going and everyone would be ready by now." She moved in haste from her place.

"And I don't agree with your statement earlier. I am a divorced person too, and I have a home." Her steps halted on the door and she turned to me.

"But you miss the biggest point here. You are a man, but in societies like ours, there is no place for a divorced woman, especially a woman who takes Khula (ask for the divorce first)." She didn't stay there after that and I was left frozen. Don't know it was the fact she reminded me, her shaky voice or the glittering tears in her eyes that left me in shock. But whatever it was, I couldn't find the strength to chase her and disagree with her. What she said was correct in every manner.

~*~

I recalled for the third Time, everything Fiza said that day and once again I was left with the feeling that our society is unfair. There are no second chances for a woman to start a new life but show thousands of ways for a man.

"I am tired." I threw my head on the back of the sofa, closed my eyes and hear the rustling of the trees. It's late and I'm supposed to be sleeping now but sleep is far away from my eyes. If I force myself to sleep, a pair of teary eyes will flash in my mind again.