Seven

Laying a hand on the brass doorknob of her and Bryn's shared apartment Freya twisted the knob and entered it.

Not wanting to take another painful step Freya leaned against the paint chipped door, giving her self the chance to take a proper breath since leaving Sylva's.

Her heart had been beating erratically since running away from her date with Oscar.

Taking out her cell from her purse, Freya clicked open her marble cased phone.

Staring at the display screen Freya's ragged breaths hitched at the red banners covering her screen.

***

Blind

Oscar Williams 

I'm here!

At table seven.

Where are you?

Are you coming?

***

Losing her grip Freya watched, eyes blurred as her phone dropped onto the cedar panelled floor.

Freya was reminded then by how similar all this felt to drowning.

When her arms weren't quick enough.

When her legs weren't strong enough.

In her youth, Freya had always had trouble learning to swim and whenever she'd let go of the edge, panic seized her as it had now, sucking the oxygen out of her frail lungs.

The others had laughed as she flailed her arms desperate to tread herself back out while they all floated with ease.

There was something wrong with her, there always was, Freya didn't know what but she knew she had some sort of unfixable defect.

One no one else had.

How fortunate. 

While the rest of her friends thrived she fell, drowned to the bottom while the others stayed floating above with cheery smiles.

In one moment all of Freya's weight was against the door the next it was all on the wooden floor.

Darkness didn't take her at this time.

Pain came, it came to finish the job.

It was just as merciless as Darkness, leaving her eyes open and hearing intact but ceasing her ability to move and lift her self up.

Too numb to feel anything but sorrow.

Eventually, Fatigue stepped in, handing her over to Darkness who then dragged a blackout curtain over her eyes.

Closing her off from Light.

***

The next day she woke with Bryn and her outlandish pastel pink hair hovered over her face.

No words were exchanged between the friends as she helped Freya haul herself up onto the couch.

Her body was sore and getting up was excruciating.

Bending back up Bryn walked over to the sink to fetch Freya a glass of water.

Sometimes Freya wished she could take Bryn's kindness for granted but she knew she couldn't.

Once Freya was back on her feet again, a girls day was in order by Bryn's orders.

Although Freya didn't particularly enjoy them she knew it would put a definite smile on her and Bryn's lips. 

The silence made their apartment eerier than usual but Freya was glad of the quiet.

She didn't want to elaborate any more than she had to about why she had collapsed in the middle of the doorway. 

Tucking her head into her knees Freya asked Bryn for a favour when she returned with her cup of water.

"Could you call in sick for me?"

"Cozy day?" 

"Cozy day," Freya answered making room on the two-seaters for Bryn to sit as well. 

For now, she had a bit more time to forget the agony she caused to the both of them.

Oscar and herself in the progress.

Making a speechless promise Freya vowed that she would make up with Oscar.

She only hoped Oscar wouldn't give up on her.

★★★

Word Count: 600!

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited