Sixteen

"Surprise is better than suspense."-Blind®️ Founders, Roven & Dexter Ilit©️

Freya was grateful to be free of Lance's presence.

Taking a hold of a pole for stability Freya's train of thought drifted from Lance towards her outfit.

After getting pulled out of an elevator and climbing down several flights of stairs her black lace dress was wrinkled beyond repair.

Freya's new haircut wasn't faring well either.

Since the ends of her hair were all even, it made it impossible to pass off her tangled mess of a lob as natural.

Hearing her stop being called Freya had to make an effort to bypass both the standing and sitting passengers on her way out.

At the top of the escalators, Freya attempted to use the palm of her hands to smoothen the folds of her dress, which offered no results whatsoever.

Her boots crunched on the thin layer of snow as made her way towards the restaurant.

The closer she got, the more she took note of a recognizable feeling that was expanding in the pit of her stomach.

Fear.

"It's all in your mind," Freya repeated, again and again until her ears processed the jingle of a bell.

Inside Tembers, Freya immediately felt a wave of warmth.

The chill her skin felt from outside ebbed away, warm Freya unzipped her coat.

Not yet taking it completely off.

As her nerves settled, Freya surveyed the restaurant wide-eyed at the forest-like atmosphere this place captured.

Everything was an ambient shade of green, the cutlery and seating all beautifully crafted pieces of wood from a variety of trees.

It seemed each section had a designated smell, red cedar at the front, glossy maple on the left, ash on the right and Freya's personal favorite, white pine in the back.

Adding to the aura, instead of typical bulbs the restaurant was lit by simple yet elegant silver chandeliers hanging above each individual table.

Upon closer inspection, Freya was taken aback by the sheer detail encased in each bulb.

Inside each individual globular piece held what seemed to be a piece of copper, skillfully handcrafted into a tree.

The breathtaking details made Freya think of the celebratory bonfire meals with faeries in the moonlit forest she had always read and dreamed about as a child.

If only the interior designer of this restaurant was able to add miniature glimmering dots floating just below the ceiling.

The more she turned her head from corner to corner, the more Freya felt ashamed for being so underdressed in what seemed like a high-class restaurant.

Was a double date really really that great of an idea? 

Anxious Freya avoided as much eye contact as possible with the dinners as she searched the  room for her bright-haired friend.

Spotting them, Freya automatically noticed that both the seats meant for her and Oscar were empty.

That set aside, everything else was all what she had expected; a table for four Bryn and her on one side and Collin and Oscar on the other.

Few days ago it seemed perfectly fine but now the idea is no longer as appealing nor appalling either.

Freya noticed people were starting to give her side way glances between sips champagne.

She wanted to move her feet but they seemed so intimate at that moment that out of respect for Bryn Freya didn't want to head over.

To her relief, Bryn spotted Freya and waved her over, enthusiastic as  always.

Giving her a half smile Freya walked over in heels that she wished she'd never bought.

"Hey," She greeted causally, taking a seat beside Bryn. Her mind cleared from all worry in an instant.

Unable to hold her excitement Bryn burst out loud in an introduction, stating who the man across from her was, although Freya knew quite well from the pictures it was Collin Easky.

"So this Collin. Collin this is Freya." He and Freya share a smile before turning to Bryn.

As Freya slides of her coat and unravels her scarf a server arrives at the table, both his arms clearly struggling to carry two trays full of plates with more garnish than meal.

"Sorry." Bryn and Collin both apologized in unison as the man put their plates down on the table one by one. "We already ordered since we were both starving."

"It's alright," Freya says, eying the food with great interest like her two fellow mates. They must have ordered nearly everything on the menu.

Steaming hot plates of rice and noodles, steamed veggie platters and gorgeous pan-seared meat covered the table.

Now this is what five-star cooking should be.

Every plate, caused Freya's mouth to water in hunger.

Right as Freya was about to dive into a bowl of creamy risotto, Bryn leaned over, "Oscar just parked."

At that Freya's appetite began to dwindle, she pushed the risotto away.

Dropping down her spoon, Freya picked up a small slice of buttered bread and nibbled on that instead.

Freya continued to chew on her bread, her head bent over her phone to see if Oscar had sent any messages like he did to Bryn.

The door jingled and a familiar voice instantly brought Freya's attention to the towering figure in front of her.

Dressed in a light grey suit with a navy tie around his neck was Lance Heyes.

"Freya?"

★★★

Word Count: 890!

Exiled_Introvert 2017©️

Edited