Chapter 2

~

~

It takes me two more hours, but I finally get my side of the room decorated and organized. While Samira's side is filled with red and black colors and music posters and artwork, my side is more on the safe and elegant side. My theme is purple and gold with mandalas and flowers and I have some photos of my favorite flowers and bible quotes hung up. My bulletin board has my calendar that shows different crosses and bible verses and the Evangeline Rose nameplate that my mother got me is strung across the top of the board. I place the last small photo frame that I have of Jesus and set it right next to my bible on my little desk. Now I have everything where it's supposed to be.

I take all of my empty luggage, shove it underneath my bed and then sigh in content. Samira went out about an hour ago and said she would be back soon to go to the freshman activities with me. I sit criss-cross on my twin bed and open up my bible. I don't have a tv or a stereo system to occupy myself. I only have books to read for when I have nothing else to do. Just like back home. In our house, we only have a tv that my parents never watch in the living room. I was only allowed to watch tv for 2 hours a day because it would "rot my brain cells." The same went for my cellphone.

My parents had splurged on getting me an iPhone last year for my birthday. They had said the phone was a privilege as long as I used it for the right things. I wasn't on the social media platforms that everyone else seems to have so I never do a lot on my phone anyways. I'm not that good at being social, much less on a social media platform with other strangers. I prefer to spend my spare time getting ahead on homework or reading books.

I am just getting into the last chapter of Romans when I hear a key shoved into the keyhole. The door opens and Samira's bright smile lights up the room.

"Evangeline!" She walks in and a tall African American man follows behind her. "Wow! Your side looks great."

"Thanks," I say timidly. Usually, people don't like my decorations. They think it's too "Holy Mary." At least that's what some of the kids in high school used to say when they saw how I decorated the inside of my locker.

She rummages through her closet and the stranger man is still standing by the door.

"Oh! This is my boyfriend, Latrell." She points at him. "Latrell, this is my roommate Evangeline. Evangeline, this is Latrell."

Latrell looks over to me and turns his mouth upwards in a small smile. "It's nice to meet you, Evangeline."

His voice is deep, but smooth. I have to look away to avoid him seeing my cheeks flame up in red. "Hi, Latrell. It's nice to meet you." My voice is small and I turn my gaze to the floor to keep myself from trying to stare at his handsome face.