Chapter 39

Compass - Zella DayStranger - Katie CostelloMuddy Waters - LPLet Me Go - Avril Lavigne-

Compass - Zella Day
Stranger - Katie Costello
Muddy Waters - LP
Let Me Go - Avril Lavigne
-

Large time elapses with these final three chapters.

March 2018
Sophomore Year

"Eva, can you check on room 246 and see if Gena Campbell is ready for pre-op?" Shana, one of the RN's, asks me as I sit behind the floor desk sorting patient files.

I look up from where I'm leaning over the file cabinet and smile. "Sure, Shana."

Shana has been one of the most welcoming since I started working as an intern here two months ago. Henry Ford General Hospital is one of the biggest hospitals in the Detroit area and it's only a couple of minutes from where I live near downtown. I thought it would be a good idea to start getting early experience working in a hospital, so last semester I applied to be an intern. It's an unpaid internship as of right now, but if they want to extend my internship to next year then I'll get paid and could also possibly work in the emergency clinic. I don't really mind that my work is unpaid. I'm doing this for the experience, not the money. I want to learn as much as I possibly can before I go off to medical school in a year and a half.

Being an intern has been a busy, but amazing experience so far. I started it this January before classes had began and I work here three days out of the week. I managed to get my class schedule to work out in a way that I'm able to have all my classes in the morning and then my internship in the afternoon. I start class at 8am and then typically go to the hospital around 12:30 and work there until 5pm. It's a schedule that I appreciate having. I have been thriving on this organized system.

I really love working at the hospital. I do a lot of paper work and file sorting, but I also get to help check up on patients for basic pre-op and post-op procedures. I have been shadowing some of the attending doctors and nurses while they interact with the patients. Mainly my job consists of standing back and observing, so I absorb everything I can. In the hospital, everyday is something different, so I am always finding another thing to learn and take notes on. I've learned so much already just in these past two months. Time feels like it's flown by.

I set down the patient files I had in my hands on top of the desk . I adjust my purple scrubs pants and floral top as I stand up from the desk. I tuck a loose piece of hair that fell out of my bun behind my ear and walk around the desk towards room 246.

Overall, things have been going really great for me.

I've managed to get straight A's each semester so far and I still work at the university library on the days I don't have my internship. I decided to keep my job at the library because I needed to keep making some money to pay my bills and groceries. I also just really enjoy being surrounded by books, so there was no way that I could give up that job. It's so easygoing and I'm still able to get my schoolwork done during my shifts. It's all worked out.