Chapter 22

"Love is patient, love is kind

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."
~1 Corinthians 13

I wake up to my pitch black dorm. I'm still laying in the curled up position I was in earlier. I guess I had been so upset that I put myself to sleep. It must have been a deep sleep because I feel a little disoriented, have a headache, and my mouth is cotton dry. I sit up, surrounded by darkness. I rub my eyes and sigh. I still feel exhausted, emotionally drained. The fight with my parents comes back to me and I shake my head to try and get rid of those thoughts.

I check my phone and it's 8:18pm. I was asleep for almost 5 hours. I have multiple messages from Tre, asking if everything was okay and if I wanted to see him later. I also have a text from Sam that said that she wasn't going to be back to the room until late tonight. No other messages or calls. Nothing from my parents, but I'm not surprised. I message Tre back and tell him that I want to go over to his place tonight. I set my phone down and I get up from my bed.

I turn on the small lamp on my desk, illuminating the room with a soft golden glow. I look in the mirror on the wall next to my book shelf and see dark circles underneath my eyes. My eyes are bloodshot and I have dried tears on my cheeks. I rub my face and then pull my hair back so I can go wash my face. When I get back from the bathroom, Tre messages saying he can pick me up in 15 minutes.

With my face feeling more refreshed and free of any signs of previous tears, I start feeling a little better. I change clothes and put on some black leggings and one of my grey oversized sweaters. I brush my hair and then slip my new ankle boots on that I had just bought last week from a nice thrift store. By the time I finish getting ready, Tre texts me that he's outside.

"Hey babe," he greets when I get into his car.

"Hi," I simply say.

I'm happy to see him, but I don't feel like telling him what happened while we're in the car.

"Are you okay?" He asks during the drive back to his apartment.

"I don't know," I answer. "We can talk about it when we get inside."

He stops on the way to get us fast food since I slept through dinner. The whole time in the car, there's only small talk. Nothing more. Which makes me glad. Tre is never one who pushes hard about talking right away. He lets me talk when I am ready, just like I do the same for him.

"Would you quit stealing my fries?" He asks, playfully swatting at my hand that's reaching for his food bag.

"Let me have some of your fries," I laugh, hand wrestling with his.

"You already have your own fries. Why do you need to take mine?"

"Because food tastes better when it's not yours," I joke, starting to feel happier now that I am around him and not making my head hurt with all of my thoughts.