Chapter 70

Fiona's POV:

Alex's arms were around me and that was exactly how I wanted it. I had never imagined that I would locate my soulmate, so it was quite surprising. I had never felt so good, then again, I had never been able to breathe so easily either. I was relieved that the mate bond had healed my lungs, I was not aware it could do that.

I watched as the discussion came to a close and the Dranek disappeared into the trees once more. I hadn't even known she was nearby until Darien called her. After listening to her quiet counsel and suggestions, the Dranek didn't seem as hostile as rumor made them out to be. She didn't seem to have any problem helping us either, although I was surprised that Darien trusted her enough to let his mate go with the blue-skinned woman.

The Dranek didn't seem so bad anymore. Although, I had thought that they had completely left the planet since no one had seen one for at least a week. She obviously knew Darien fairly well, and even Alex seemed relaxed enough, which was surprising since our new mate bond was making him overprotective.

I stared at the leaves, but saw no trace of blue skin. It was almost creepy how she disappeared so easily. No wonder Darien wanted her to hide Serena. I moved my gaze to look at Darien and Serena. They were staring into one another's eyes before Darien gently kissed her forehead, "Don't worry so much."

Her dark brown eyes were a clear sign that she was human, yet, she didn't match the stories I heard about humans either. As far as I could tell, she carried no weapons, nor did she seem wasteful or consider how she could use things for profit.

She was very quiet and didn't speak much, mostly remaining with Darien. I wondered why their mate bond made Darien so strong and fast. Even when the mate bond had given Alex extra strength in the hospital, Darien's shove had thrown Alex to the side with ease and broken several bones.

I watched the brown-haired human cuddle up against Darien's chest in much the same fashion that I was in Alex's arms. They were clearly soulmates, just by their actions and contact.

Serena seemed shy, but friendly enough. Darien watched her closely whenever she so much as stepped away from him. It sounded like several people had tried to harm her, so I could understand why he was being so watchful.

I had a hard time believing the Council had ordered that Valrid to kill her. There were laws against such actions, even if she was human. Laws that they had vowed to uphold. I would really have to ask Alex later on and find out exactly what had occurred when they met the Council.

They were certain the Council would not be happy to see us and that they would likely try to kill us when they noticed us approaching. It baffled me, but they said it was almost a sure thing. Our plan was just as perplexing.

Alex and Darien were going to have to disguise themselves enough to get past the guards. Lucas and I had never seen the Council before, so they would not recognize us. I had volunteered to go in with them since the bond was too new for Alex and me to be apart easily, although it would have mostly settled in the two days it would take us to get there.

They were going to innocently inquire about seeing a human on the road and see what reaction that got, before asking about a Valrid being paid to kill her. Darien had a reading ability that could pick up their emotions if he got close enough, so he could determine who was guilty if they didn't admit to it themselves.

They expected that the Council would be quite curious as to the human's whereabouts. If things went south, Lucas, Alex and I would be fleeing while Darien tried to see how much damage he could do. Serena was worried about him getting injured, but Darien reassured her that he would be fine.

The Dranek had her own plan to hide Serena, although she had not elaborated. I really had to start calling the Dranek by her name. Saphira had promised to take Serena deep into the forest where no one would find them.

The plan seemed solid enough in theory, but objectively, having four Tarulk trying to accuse the Council of attempted murder in the Council Building, while a human and a Dranek hid nearby, seemed rather far-fetched.