Prologue

What did I remember? Agony, blood, terror, followed by a bright light. Of course, I could say none of this to the man who stood over my bed. My head was spinning and I still couldn't figure out how I had gotten here or even where here was. I didn't even try to say anything to the man who stared at me with paper and utensil in hand. I had already asked so many questions he must think I was insane, but it was alarming to wake up in a world you didn't recognize.

"Miss?" He asked again when he realized I was staring off into space.

Shaking my head, I blinked as I attempted to focus, "Sorry?" At least he spoke the same language as me, told me he probably wasn't a demon.

"I asked if you remembered anything." He repeated himself.

"I am sorry to ask, but what are you?" I knew it was a rude question, but I was starting to panic.

The man frowned, "What... I am a cop? Would you like me to get a nurse to check your head again?"

It was too much all at once; all I wanted was him gone. "Yes, please. Thank you."

He looked annoyed but sighed as he closed his notepad and put it away as he walked into the hall. Once he was gone, I realized I had to get answers for myself. He said I was in a hospital, but there was no medical centre I had ever seen before. The man dressed strangely for a guard and the devices I was hooked up to, no healer owned. I needed out of here.

Pushing back the blankets, I hesitated as I saw that I was wearing a gown which only went to my lower thighs. "Great," I hissed, knowing my lack of clothing could to cause some problems. My eyes lingered for a second over the large gash on the medial side of both of my legs. That was going to make things a bit more difficult, but no answers waited for me here, only problems. I slid out of the bed, wincing as my feet touched the floor. Whoever my healer was, was a poor one.

My gait was slow and I was struggling to keep my legs under me. My bare feet made no sound on the smooth, white stone as I slowly limped out the door. No one paid much attention to me as I turned down the hallway, scanning the area. This building was a labyrinth, but I followed a couple who seemed to know their way.

They lead me to an area filled with chairs, most of which were empty. A man wore strange clothing and argued with a woman behind a bench. A jacket hung over the edge of a chair and I knew I what I was wearing would raise questions sooner or later. "I'm sorry," I whispered as I grabbed the soft, grey material and slid it on. It draped to my mid thigh and hung from me like a blanket. I pulled it closed before pulling up the hood.

The strangers I was following stood in front of a metal door, talking in concerned tones. A fire lit behind a piece of alloy on the wall and moments later, a bell rang and the metal doors opened to a metal box. They acted like this jail-like cell was normal and walked in. "You coming?" The man asked as he wrapped the arm around the girl.

My head lifted and I nodded, "Yes, thank you." I said as I followed them in and the doors closed. I did my best not to focus on my surroundings, but it was impossible seeing a girl who dressed in jeans like a man and a top which didn't cover her stomach. I must be dead and in purgatory for these people did not dress like the Lords and Ladies I was used to.

When the metal doors opened again, a wall of clear glass was in front of me which lead outside. My heart raced and I followed my strangers towards the glass panels. "Code Yellow. All people are asked to remain inside the building." A voice said seemingly from thin air.

"Code yellow?" The girl turned to ask her boyfriend as they stopped.

They were close enough to cause the glass doors to open as the man sighed and replied. "Missing patient. Come on, let's head to the desk until security comes to let us out."

Missing patient? That had to be me. I shook my head and glanced at the couple and seized the opportunity I had. "Lord forgive me," I whispered, knowing I was acting more like a common thief than the royalty I was. I let out a breath and prayed my legs would stay under me as I sprinted out into the world.

The world which was in front of me was one I had never seen before. On the solid stone road were metal carriages which required no horses to move, buildings which were made only out of metal and glass and stood into the heavens. Not a dress, sword, Witch, or Elf was in sight. I didn't know where I was, but I knew it was not a land I had seen before. I looked both ways before picking one and sprinted as fast as my weak and sore legs would let me.

Men and women alike shouted and horns went off as I jumped in front of the metal carriages across the road. There was no woods to hide in, no ponds, nothing familiar. I focused on my breathing and keeping my legs under me. I couldn't focus on the world around me, I had to get away before I could worry about where I was.