Thirty-Two

Mylo was a lot harder to find then Kane was. Thankfully, Thalian was anxiously waiting for me. He waved me down from an open-concept tent which was rapidly growing as more people came, needing a bed. I was informed it was the medical tent and we had two Doctors working to help people, but they had no supplies and their brains had not been used for medicine in a long time. "So?" Thalian questioned as he rocked on the balls of his feet.

"We shall hear soon," I promised.

My answer wasn't the one he wanted to hear, but it was better than a no. "Well..." Thalian started off slowly as he sighed, running his fingers through his hair, "then I guess Mylo gets you next. I should go."

I quickly reached out and took his hand, "You should stay," I corrected him, tugging him along towards where Mylo and Maya sat next to a middle-aged man. The closer we got, the sooner I realized this wouldn't be a happy visit. The man's hair was falling out onto his pillow and his skin almost matched the colour of Thalian's in his sickly state. What was worse was the dried blood around his mouth. I stood back and watched as he started to cough and Mylo held a cloth to his mouth to catch the spewing blood.

Death would come soon to collect this man, it almost seemed wrong to take Mylo away from him. "Mylo, Maya," I said in a solemn tone, the man didn't seem awake.

"Leena," Maya was quickly on her feet and turning to give me a hug. I hugged her back and let out a breath, praying this man wasn't a friend of theirs. "I'm glad you made it," she mumbled in my ear before pulling away. "This is Urius, he's been anxiously waiting to meet you."

I blinked a bit surprised and Mylo nodded, "Was this what you wanted me for?"

"No," he replied simply and motioned for me to sit as his focus turned back onto the dying man. "Urius, the mermaid is here," Mylo said in a gentle tone as he touched his forearm.

I didn't know if Urius was sleeping or just drifting closer to death, but at the mention of me, he stirred slightly. His eyes open and I did my best not to focus on the swollen veins in the white's of his eyes. "You're finally back," Urius spoke as if he knew me as he reached out to take my hand. "We've been waiting."

"We?" I echoed.

His eyes closed and his head bowed. "Aye, been waiting for the immortal to come back and put an end to the Sorcerer's reign."

The man must be delirious in his deteriorating state as Maya, Mylo, Thalian, and I all exchanged a look. "I beg your pardon?" Thalian asked over my shoulder as he stepped closer.

Urius waved him off, he only focused on me. "We don't got a lot of time and I ain't dying in this bed." He paused and placed a trembling hand on my shoulder. "Help me up, I wish to see the sun," his grip tightened on my shoulder, his rough skin itching mine.

"I do not believe-"

"Don't," Mylo cut Kane off. "Do it, Leena, you need to hear what he has to say."

I didn't know if it was a good idea either, but I trusted Mylo's judgement. Though we were practically strangers Mylo hadn't steered me wrong yet and came to my aid multiple times. I owed him the benefit of the doubt. "Alright, wrap your arms around me," I caved as I moved as close as the bed would let and I lifted him by myself.

The illness had taken a toll on his body and I was unsure if Urius weighed more than 100lbs. "Do you know of ying and yang?" Urius began as I stood up and started towards the water.

My head bobbed, "Heard of it."

"I thought you might. So you've heard of Earth too." I tensed and my pace slowed and Urius continued. "Many years ago there was a powerful sorcerer who plagued Prozox. Long story short, magic users came together and banished him to a world which was opposite of our own. This created an opening between our world and Earth."

Shaking my head, we arrived at the beach and I set him down in the sand and stayed beside him. "Wait, how do you know all of this?" Why was he telling it to me on his deathbed?

"That too is a long story that I ain't got time for," he spoke rushed, skipping over all questions I had and major details. "Hundreds of years passed and we thought we were safe, little did we know they were planning their return from the other side. The rift let just enough magic to sneak through for them to return, but they knew the trip would make them weak." The others had followed and listened as well, just as confused as I was. "They collected a following of humans and offered them unimaginable power-"

"What does this have to do with ying and yang? What does it have to do with me?"

Urius slapped my hand and waved his finger at me, "Patience. I'm the one dying over here. My story in my time," he scolded as he started coughing again.

Mylo was quickly at his side, assisting him. "Can you continue?"

It took him a moment to catch his breath, his breathing becoming more shallow. "Will you sing to me?" He breathed, his eyes locking mine and I saw a shine in them. "I've always wanted to hear a mermaid's song." Just like that, he seemed like a different man.

Moving closer, I sighed unable to deny a dying man's request. I wrapped an arm around him and pulled him against me. "Go on, get out of here you three." I whispered as I looked up. Urius was on his final breaths, his story and his knowledge was fading with him.

"Leena, we need him to-" Thalian objected as I shook my head as I started to hum. I closed my eyes and ran my hand along Urius' arm to soothe him. His entire body relaxed against me and I glanced to the others. Thalian and Maya turned on their heels and walked away, having no control of their bodies.

Mylo sighed, his eyes becoming wet as he knelt down. "I ain't leaving you here to do this alone." I had no control over him and I was grateful for that. He said he was cursed, but to me, he was my blessing.

"Thank you," I said softly before focusing on Urius. He breathed easier now and he no longer fought death. "What song do you want to hear?" I offered as I pulled him deeper into my trance, taking his pain from him.

I had come to see him too late. His head fell to the side as he stopped fighting his fate. "Demons have no soul," he started, as if he was about to answer my question, but then his tone changed from sober to spirited. "We used to live by the water you know? Back when I was a kid."

I forced a teary smile and reached up to place a hand over his eyes, "Focus on your home back then, see it in front of you." It felt like someone was stabbing my heart as Urius drifted in and out of focus.

I couldn't ask his last moments to be about remembering a demon spawn, so I bit back the questions and allowed him to find peace in the vision I was providing. "I see it," he was actually laughing, "I can taste the saltwater, hear soft music in the distance." He paused and I watched his bloodstained mouth break out into a full tooth smile, "I always wanted my mom to let me row out there and hear the song. She never let me."

Smart woman. We probably would have eaten him if he did. Our pull was strong, even now in his final moments, he began to hum the song which had haunted him for his entire life. I recognized the song immediately and my eyes glanced to Mylo and I let out a breath. He nodded, confirming it was okay and I gently began to sing an old sea shanty called "Leave Her Johnny".

Urius relaxed in my arm, my song had him completely entranced and he was mine to manipulate however I pleased. I closed my eyes and forced the tears back as I continued to sing, allowing this dying man his moment of pure peace. His hand laid over mine as I held him close, rocking slightly. "Humans have souls," he breathed, his hand squeezing mine for a second.

His grip relaxed and he took one final deep breath in of the ocean air, one which he held onto. His entire body went limp and his own soul left his body, my hopes for answers with him.

****

Truth be told, this is one of my favourite sea shanties, so please give it a listen. It is attached up above! Listen and tell me what you think!