Twenty-Three

I was lead at sword-point to beside Ran. The Duke was trying to put a spin on this, but I wasn't listening to him, I was listening to the air. There was no ringing, nothing as all the guards walked back and forward to keep the crowd at bay and keeping an eye on all the non-humans. "I will do you the honour and not make you watch your man die first," he said as he turned towards me. "Do you have any last words?"

"Last words?" I echoed before glancing back to Ran. I didn't even think he could get himself to the water, the plan would have to change. "I do," I started before I began to hum a low note.

The ship headed north as I sat down to wait,

I knew it wouldn't be long before I heard of his fate.

The waters weren't kind and beneath the wave,

Sung the fair maidens who would make him their slave.

Wo-ah, wo-ah, down down they go.

I started to sing, pulling everyone who could hear into my trance. Ran was singing along, even in his weak state, his voice was still angelic. The few Elves who knew the song stomped to keep the beat and joined in. They knew what was to come.

My lover was gone with the ship by the waves,

I couldn't help but smile as I stood by their graves.

My lover was a drunk, a sailor, a thief,

As I stood by the sea I said a thank you so brief.

Wo-ah, wo-ah, down down they go.

Letting the others take over the chorus, I took a deep breath as I motioned for the guards to follow me. The obeyed my command and started to undo the locks on the Elves and Ran. I pointed to two of the Elves to help Ran and bring him back to the water before I continued.

A new ship sails across the sea to our docks,

It wouldn't be long before it crashed on the rocks.

A new man I'd find, but it wouldn't be for long,

For soon he too will be entranced by the ocean's song.

Wo-ah, wo-ah, down down they go.

By the time the song was over, everyone except myself was freed, Ran was back at the ocean, and we had may our way through the crowd. "Let us leave in peace, Duke. You will never hear from us again as long as you take no more slaves."

There was a moment of silence as the Duke shook the cobwebs out of his head and glared at me through the sea of civilians. "Kill them all!" He shouted at his guards.

"Takeh a arb!" I shouted in Elven and the slaves all scrambled leaving me against a dozen guards in handcuffs and without a weapon. It hardly seemed fair to them.

The first guard to take a swing at me was slow. It was easy to duck under his arm and get behind him, wrapping my chain around his neck before tugging until I heard a crack and he stopped fighting. My glare turned to the next closest guard, but before I could make my move, he went flying through the air and landed over 50 feet away. "See, I ain't out of practice!" A familiar voice laughed.