Chapter Twenty Four

Jack's POV

"What the hell are you doing here?"

My eyes widen as I stare at Victoria. She's on the bed in the corner, her forehead and side are covered in a bandage. Machines are attached to her on either side of her. Guilt swims inside of me as I see her peacefully sleeping with her mom, Jess and Lincoln beside her. I swallow a lump in my throat as I return my attention towards her father. 

He's standing in front of me, anger and fury written all over him. His clothes are wrinkled, his hair is dishevelled and black circles are evident under his eyes. He looks like a mess and I know that deep down it's my fault. Victoria's mom turns around and her eyes are bloodshot like she was just crying. I look towards Jess and she gives me a sad smile whereas Lincoln keeps his attention towards Victoria. 

"I asked you a question young man," Mr. Brown said taking a threatening step forward, venom and anger laced in his words. 

I open my mouth to speak but nothing comes out. I close my mouth, clenching my jaw. George comes behind me and puts his arm on my shoulder, giving me a reassuring nod. 

I clear my throat before answering "I-I came to see her" I said, stuttering a bit. 

"You have no right to see her. You put her through this" He said pointing towards Victoria. I look at her and a lump forms in my throat. 

"I trusted you to protect her. You're her boyfriend for god sake" He said, angrily poking my chest. I swallow that lump as my Adam apple bobs up and down. 

"I-I'm sorry, sir... It was an accident... I'm sorry" I said, sincerely, looking directly into his fiery eyes. 

Mrs. Brown comes up behind him and places a hand on his shoulder just as he was about to say something. She gives him a look and he shuts his mouth. 

"We really appreciate it, Jack. It's not your fault for what happened to Victoria" She said to me stepping in front of her husband. 

"No, Mrs. Brown. It is my fault... your husbands right. I put her in that a coma" I said, my voice getting quieter at the last part. I look down at my shoes and my shoulders slump down. 

"Jack..." Mrs. Brown starts lifting my chin with her hand to make me face her. I reluctantly let her. I meet her brown eyes that are similar to Victoria's eye's and I see nothing but sadness, pain and kindness towards me. 

"We don't blame you for what happened." She said gesturing towards her husband and herself. 

"Neither does she," She said looking towards Victoria, tears forming in her eyes. She takes a deep breath before looking towards me.

"You're not the one who rammed the both of you off the highway. You did everything you could in that moment of time, alright? We all know, even Victoria knew, you did everything you needed too and we all know that you care for her so much......... You can't blame yourself for something you didn't do" Mrs. Brown said putting her hands on my shoulders. I nod and my eyes get watery. I quickly wipe them away. I try to push all these feelings away cause I can't bear to feel them again. But as much as I try, it doesn't go away, it just comes back even harder. 

All the butterflies and tingles I feel from her all have a mean something. I wasn't sure what it meant but I think that now I know what it is. A four letter word that I've never used for anyone but my close ones to prevent me from getting close to anyone.

"I love her" I whispered looking towards Victoria. Mrs. Brown steps back, her arms falling to the side, letting me walk towards Vic. I slowly walk towards her and Jess and Lincoln step back, letting me have her to myself. I sit on the chair and take her hand in mine. I move a strand of hair that sits on her beautiful face behind her ear.