Chapter 4 - No I didn't!

In a small town called Atrav, a boy dressed in his Sunday best rode hastily towards the inn named The Woodman’s Nymph. His breathing was hard and labored. His dark, brown hair, wet with sweat, was plastered to his face, and his brown eyes were open wide, filled with fear and panic. He had just seen a dragon and lived to tell the tale. It had ruined his sister’s wedding celebration.

The boy jumped off his horse when he reached the inn and burst in through the doors. He scanned the patrons until he found the blue eyes he was looking for. With haste in his steps, the boy made his way to the corner where the knight sat with his men.

“Sir?” he asked for attention while he bowed his head respectfully.

The knight raised his eyebrows, his cold blue eyes gazing at the boy as he pushed his shoulder length blonde hair behind his ear. The woman sitting on his lap turned to look at the newcomer as well while she ran fingers through the knight’s soft curls.

The other men at the table also turned their attention to the boy, appraising him for any signs of a threat.

“Sir?” the knight questioned back, trying to hide his disapproval behind amusement.

The boy’s eyes widened even more when he realized his mistake, “I’m sorry Sir- ermm... I mean Your Majesty.” He bowed again.

“Speak quickly boy, I’m a bit busy.” The knight turned back to the woman and eyed her hungrily, a flirty smile playing on his lips. She giggled.

“I’ve seen a dragon. I mean... there was a dragon sighting. Actually, the dragon attacked us,” the boy rambled off quickly unable to hold back his excitement and awe.

The man, along with his companions, quickly sobered up and looked at the boy warily.

“You better not be jesting with me boy,” he answered in a cold, hard voice.

“I am not… I… it happened just a while ago. I… I came here as quickly as possible. There are other people who saw it. It stole a roast and almost killed my sister’s wedding guests with its fire! We saw it flying away towards the north!” The boy’s voice rose, and his eyes grew big again. On the prince’s request he retold the incident, reporting everything he had witnessed.

“Boy...” The man rose to his feet, towering over the boy and eyeing him angrily.

The woman who had been sitting on his lap almost slid off to the floor, but keeping her balance, she spoke quickly, “I know the boy. Kalmin right?” He nodded in response. “I believe he speaks the truth. It is his sister’s wedding day today, and he doesn’t have a jesting bone in his body. He’s too serious for his age.”

The man studied the boy’s face, looking for any sign of treachery. When he found none, he nodded.

“Very well. You made the right choice by informing me. Reed, Colin - “ he turned towards his men “- get our belongings and saddle our horses. Lance, go fetch Charlie, and Cathal… you get the others. It seems we finally got our break. That dragon and its head will be mine; I’ve spent too much time looking for it already. But our day is getting closer, I can feel it now.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.” The men all bowed and scurried to do as they were told.

“And you boy.” Kalmin lifted his eyes up to his Prince and waited for whatever was to come.

“Here… for your trouble.”  The boy caught a gold coin which soared through the air towards him.

“Thank you, Your Majesty. You are very kind. I hope you get that evil dragon once and for all. And I hope to be as great a knight as you are someday.” Kalmin’s eyes sparkled with pride that he had done something to please his prince.