Chapter 10 - Laying Low

Kaden looked back over his shoulder and could still see the red-haired man looking after them from where he was perched on the tree.

The dragon cradled Olivia gently to himself. He had been close to losing her.

Barely flying over the treetops, he felt his wing throbbing like never before, but he was going to pull through. The only thing he was worried about was that it hadn’t started healing, something was still inside and he needed to get it out fast.

He beat his wings down as he changed direction towards a good place to descend that he had spotted. The movement to the side made him falter in flight again, tangling his feet in some branches, breaking them.

Olivia squeaked in fright. Clinging to him even tighter.

Kaden cursed himself for faltering, gritted his teeth and pressed his jaw tight against the pain as they managed to gain some altitude.

“I got you Liv. You're safe now,” he cooed gently to Olivia. He felt her shivering in his embrace, the shock of the whole ordeal was catching up with her.

Olivia was cold, frightened and shaken, but at least Kaden had her now.

He had come.

She could feel that there was something wrong though. His flying didn’t feel right. It was as if he were limping in the air.

Soon, they descended gently into an abandoned field when Kaden had been sure it was safe enough. When his feet touched down lightly, he let go of Olivia with the last beat of his wings.

She took a few steps forward, out of his embrace and turned to face him. He was sitting on his haunches now, his tail twitching from side to side nervously and at that moment he reminded her of a cat. A very angry and worried cat.

Their eyes locked and they just stared at each other for a few suspended moments.

Kaden wished he could just go to her, cup her face in his hands and kiss her as if his life depended on the nectar of her lips. He missed that kind of contact. He needed to reassure himself that she was unharmed and safe. She was standing there completely vulnerable to him. Her eyes were brimming with unshed tears, her fragile body shaking with shivers and her face was full of a range of different emotions. She was opened to him like a book.

The one thing that stood out was that she needed comforting. Just a simple hug. Someone to hold her tight and safe. It awoke the primal protective instincts in him and he was ready to go out to destroy and burn down anything or anyone that might invoke that turmoil in her again. He wanted to roar with fury but he fought against his anger and called upon his softer side, gentler feelings, because that was what she needed now.

“Are you okay?” It was the best he could come up with at the moment while battling with his own feelings.

Olivia simply shook her head no as she closed the distance between them. She held onto him and sobbed into his chest as he lowered his head behind her, pressed it against her back, and pulled her closer, hugging her back in his own way. Sobs wracked her tiny body so he gently rubbed his chin against her back in a soothing manner.

“Shhh… It’s alright now. You’re safe. I won’t let anyone take you away from me.” Kaden tried to comfort her and himself. His voice was filled with adoration for Olivia and the low timber of it made her shiver warmly. It always had that effect on her, no matter the circumstances.

When her sobs subsided, Olivia pried herself from him. She dried her face on her sleeve and turned to face Kaden so she could put one of her hands between his horns where she caressed him gently, while she put the other on his cheek, next to where she rested her forehead.