Chapter 21: The Candlelight in the Dark

A/n: Without further ado. Rest in peace several of my favorite characters. 😭 I'm sorry!

(Y/n) POV:

Juan:"Rain. Fucking perfect." He cursed and stormed off. There was currently a downpour going on, and it couldn't have been anymore fitting for the current situation.

I was getting drenched, but I didn't care. Right now was my moment of silence for the fallen. Those I couldn't save.

'I've failed again, dad.' I thought silently and blinked my tears away.

In front of me were those we've managed to recover. There were other soldiers missing or their bodies were past recognizable. Even most of the dog tags were gone.

I lightly jiggled the tags of those closest to me. The people I've come to call as friends. To call as family. However, they were gone now.

Mike Bake. Codename: Thatcher. The man that fought wars before many of us were even alive. Hates fookin lazer soights. I set one of his EMP charges on top his tombstone with the British flag draped over the burial site.

Mark Chandar. Codename: Mute. A genius at a young age. Was the best person to ever talk to. I set his jammer beside his grave decorated similar to his squad mate.

Vicente Souza. Codename: Capitao. The one eyed terror against terrorists. Loves his cigars more than people. I had his cigar lit beside his grave.

Elena Maria Alvarez Del Manzano. Codename: Mira. The oldest female operator in Rainbow, but still kicked ass. Great soccer player. I rested her prized Vector against her tombstone.

After silently wishing my condolences for my fallen comrades, I turned to check on the others. They were in no better shape than I am.

Slav was consuming more alcohol than usual, and that's saying a lot. Juan was muttering Spanish cuss words and hitting random rubble. Bridge was comforting a sobbing Washington. Despite the loss of the more known operators, countless recruits paid the ultimate price.

Bridge:"Those bastards. I'm going to kill them all." He muttered with a murderous intent. One that I recognized, because I was exactly the same at one time. I looked down at my hands to see them shaking, so I clenched them tightly. Now was not a time to be weak in front of my soldiers.

"Everyone...." I called for everyone's attention. They all stopped what they were doing and looked at me. I sighed tiredly and looked at them desperately.

"I need a favor." I revealed. They all looked at me with curious and confused expressions.

Bridge:"Favor?" He questioned, and I nodded.

"I know you all want to hunt these bastards down, but the White Masks have our surviving comrades hostage." I began to explain to my teammates. They looked at me in surprise. This was news to all of them. They didn't know what happened to the rest of the members of Rainbow.

Slav:"What are we going to do?" He questioned in a desperate and drunk tone. I sighed and looked at everyone with a grave expression.

"I was getting to that. In order to free our comrades, I must give in to their demands." I continued.

Juan:"What are their demands?" He asked worriedly.

"I've got to become your enemy." I dropped the bomb. They all looked at me with confused expressions at first, until Bridge figured it out.

Bridge:"You mean...." He trailed off in a shocked tone. I nodded.

"I'm joining the White Masks." Everyone was bewildered. However, Washington didn't take it well.