ii. into the lion's den

CHAPTER TWO:INTO THE LION'S DEN

CHAPTER TWO:
INTO THE LION'S DEN

■ ■ ■ ■

THEY WERE ALMOST THERE. After spending what seemed like forever flying across a vast expanse of water and land, the three girls (two vampires and a human, what an odd mix) found themselves seated in a canary yellow mercedes, the tires screeching as they sped down an empty road, their destination coming closer and closer with each passing instant.

"I'm guessing you didn't rent this car?" Bella's voice was knowing, trembling hands gripping the sides of their seats as she struggled to stay upright.

"I figured you wouldn't be opposed to grand theft auto," Alice hummed from behind the steering wheel, distracted eyes trained on the road ahead.

Bella nodded in reluctant agreement, sinking back in her seat as they swerved around another sharp corner. Verona glanced at her through the rearview mirror, golden eyes peering over the sunglasses perched on the bridge of her nose. Her hands subconsciously adjusted the scarf that was wrapped around her head, the sheer material managing to shield her neck and shoulders from the sunlight seeping through the windows.

It was then that Alice let out a sudden gasp and everyone's eyes darted towards her. Verona reached out to grab the steering wheel, keeping the car on its course as her sister's body went limp, her eyes glossing over with a vision. The panic on her face only worsened with whatever she saw, her splutter of horror lingering in the air as she snapped back to the present.

"What did you see?" Verona asked, leaning back in her seat as her sister continued driving.

Alice's foot pressed down on the accelerator, sending them soaring forward in a flash. "They refused him. Now he's going to make a scene, maybe show himself to the humans."

"What?" Bella cried, leaning forward to look at her. "No, he can't."

"How long?" Verona questioned, trying to keep her fear at bay.

"He's going to wait until noon, when the sun's at its highest."

"Oh, god," Bella whimpered, struggling to comprehend what she'd just been told. "Alice, you've gotta hurry up."

Verona wasn't sure why she did what she did. Maybe it was the terror in Bella's eyes or the pain in her voice. But nonetheless, Verona reached out and gripped the mortal girl's hand in her own, words of reassurance lingering on the tip of her tongue. "It's going to be okay, Bella. We'll get there in time."

"There it is," Alice murmured, peering through the windscreen as a village formed before them, ancient buildings dotting a surface of land that stretched on for miles upon miles. "Volterra."

Before they knew it, they were entering the heart of town, their bright yellow car surrounded by a sea of people in red coats, who scattered out of the way as they zoomed past.