xix. blood on her hands

CHAPTER NINETEEN:BLOOD ON HER HANDS

CHAPTER NINETEEN:
BLOOD ON HER HANDS

■ ■ ■ ■

MAUDE CARROWAY HUMMED TO her daughter as they sat together on the front porch of their home, Maude's nimble fingers braiding the young girl's hair into an intricate bun that sat at the base of her neck. The sun was high in the sky that morning, casting a warm summer glow on their tiny village. In the distance, they could hear children playing in the streets, and the young girl seated by her mother's feet let out a sigh of frustration as the older woman took her sweet time fixing her hair.

"Mummy, come on," she whined, impatient as she picked at the hem of her dress. "I want to play."

"Soon, my darling," Maude hushed her, taking a pastel yellow ribbon from her lap and tying it around the girl's mousy brown locks. "Now, before we go, you need to put on your shoes."

With another groan, she scrambled to her feet and ran inside, almost knocking over her father as she threw open the screen door and sprinted up the stairs. Calling a quick apology over her shoulder, she grabbed her mary jane's from the shoe rack in her room and rushed back outside, her father's warm eyes following her figure to where she sat by her mother's side, the woman in question helping her put on her shoes. 

"Can we go now?" she pleaded, jumping up and down, her green eyes wide and hopeful.

Maude gave a nod just as her husband stepped outside, and her eyes glistened with adoration as he smiled at her, pressing a loving kiss to her cheek before bending down to hug their daughter. The young girl let out an impatient sigh and grabbed hold of her mother's hand, dragging her away from him as she noticed her best friend waiting by the front gate. "Come on, mummy. Mary Alice is here."

"Have patience, my darling," Maude laughed. "You have all the time in the world to play with Mary Alice."

"Mrs Carroway! Verona!" Alice exclaimed at the sight of them, and they noticed one of her front teeth were missing as she sent them a radiant smile. "Do you see? I've lost my first tooth."

"That's wonderful, Mary Alice," Maude gasped, releasing her daughter's hand and allowing the two girls to run ahead of them, lost in their own little world. Maude shared a laugh with Alice's mother, Lilian, the two linking their arms together as they followed after their children.  

Neither of them knew what was waiting for them in the years that followed; the death, the destruction, the torment. Looking at their daughters now, they had no clue what they'd become, two eternal souls destined to delve into the darkness of the world, drowning in the aftermath of their mistakes.