8| Burn the House Down

Should I hang my head low?
Should I bite my tongue?
Or should I march with every stranger
from Twitter to get shit done?

AJR, Burn the House Down

♡ ────── ♡ ────── ♡

Scarlett's POV

"Ethan, pull it out..." I say.

"No." He says, not moving.

"But I want some more..." I say, not moving.

"Do it yourself..." He says.

I sigh and slowly get off the couch in the break room. I trudge towards his backpack and get a few more Starbursts. Then I go back to sitting on the sofa and continue to watch an episode of The Office.

"I feel so lazy today..." He says.

"Same," I say. "I just want to go home..."

"I'm taking a nap when I get home." He says.

I laugh and say, "I'm probably going to eat chips and watch tv. But at least I don't have to walk with Jade for trick or treating."

"My mom's taking Ellie," Ethan says.

"So, no partying for you tonight?" I ask.

"Nope. I got so many invites that I decided to decline them all." Ethan says.

I laugh and say, "There's probably alcohol and drugs there anyway... Always makes the place smell foul."

"So true! I mean, where do they even get drugs? I haven't seen any dealers in alleyways..." He says.

"You've checked?" I ask.

"Yep..." He says, trying to hold in a laugh.

My alarm starts to go off, and Ethan sighs. "We have to get back to work. Come on." I say. He pouts and stays put.

I grab both his hands and try to pull him up to his feet. "Geez, you're so heavy," I say.

"Hey!" He says, glaring at me.

I finally get him up and pull him out of the break room. "This is good practice for me to drag your dead body," I say.

He squeezes my hand and says, "Please don't murder me."

"Then do your damn job, man," I say, letting go of his hand. He laughs, and we wait at the counter for customers.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*

"Do you want some fries?" Ethan asks as he starts the car.

"Um... sure?" I say, laughing.

He drives to the closest McDonald's and says, "I've been craving them all day."

"I always crave fries and ice cream. Oh, and of course, Starbursts. Not the orange or yellow shitty flavors, though." I say.

He gives me a really look and then orders. After the girl takes his order, he pulls up to the window and pays. Then he gets handed the bag of fries and hands it to me. "Do you want to watch another episode of The Office?" I ask.

"Sure!" He says, parking the car. He takes a french fry from the bag while I load the next episode.

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*